Do 248s have replaceable spark plug grommets? Oil on threads of plugs when removed.

beerczar1976

Hey guys, slowly working through some maintenance/tune-up type stuff on my '50 Special. This weekended I decided to check and change the spark plugs. The old plugs didn't look all that bad with the exception that a good 4 or 5 of them had oil coating the threads of the plug when I removed them. The tips of the plugs weren't heavily fouled or wet, just the threads; a couple were coated heavily, a few not as bad, and 1 or 2 were pretty dry.

I did a quick online search this morning, not specifying the 248, but on "oil, spark plugs" and a few "DIY/home auto repair" mentioned it could be a valve cover gasket or replacing the spark plug seats/grommets...Can the plug grommets be replaced. Not sure I've looked for them as a repair part before, maybe this is only on newer vehicles?

I'm going to try to run a compression check on it as well. I'm hoping I don't have an issue with the rings as I think that may cause oil to get sucked up into the combustion chamber. The Shop Manual also mentioned something to do with the vacuum pump, but I think now I'd be getting into a different scenario.

Oil on and above the threads on a spark plug is just from it not being tight enough. I have never seen replacement gaskets ands some are captive on the plug anyhow. See your service manual for torques specs ( usually around 25 ft pounds ), although most of us just use a 'calibrated elbow'.

"Calibrated elbow"...that's what I did when I put the fresh ones in. :D I'll check for torque specs though.

But where would the oil come from? Certainly not trying to open a can of worms for myself, but as I've slowly been sinking in $$ here and there on everything from simple things up to rear window seal, door seals for front and back, and replacing missing bumper brackets, I don't want to have a car that looks halfway decent, but is ready to crap the bed mechanically as soon as I get it roadworthy. Just was surprised to see oil on the mid-section of the plugs. Maybe I worry too much and am speaking from definite lack of experience.

An unusual source of oil in the spark plug area is the tapped holes for the rocker arm stanchions. The bolts on the plug side are tapped through from the valve area through to the plug area (at least on my '38's). Oil can, and does, seep down the threads and can puddle around the plugs thus coating the threads when the plugs are pulled.

I have cleaned the threaded holes and bolts and used a touch of sealant on the threads and it helps.

An unusual source of oil in the spark plug area is the tapped holes for the rocker arm stanchions. The bolts on the plug side are tapped through from the valve area through to the plug area (at least on my '38's). Oil can, and does, seep down the threads and can puddle around the plugs thus coating the threads when the plugs are pulled.

I have cleaned the threaded holes and bolts and used a touch of sealant on the threads and it helps.

Don is right on track. Oil can also run down from the valve cover, pooling around the plug over time. I believe it is nothing to worry about.

Since you have changed the plugs, drive for awhile, observing the ones that had oil on them. Then "sop" out the oil around a couple of those. Leave the oil around the others. Remove, examine , and report back.

Ben