Some like it Hot! Temperature Gauge Assistance

Guest Thuff51

Guest Thuff51

Hello,

Need some assistance on my 51 Buick Special temp gauge. I inspected the bulb/sending tube and all seems to be intact and mounted in the engine properly but still no reading. Do these mechanical gauges go bad and is there another way to test them? Also, I assume in order to replace you need to replace the entire unit and not just the dash and or sending unit?

In the event I can't find one for a reasonable cost is there another option such as an aftermarket under dash gauge that anyone recommends?

Engine seems to be running at normal temp but would like a peace of mind from a working unit.

Thanks, </SPAN>

You are correct that it is a one piece unit, from the bulb to the gauge. It would all have to be replaced at the same time. Chances are the line has a hole in it somewhere which has allowed the inert gas inside to escape. I understand these can be rebuilt, but do not know a vendor off hand. You can use any aftermarket manual gauge by removing the bulb and then securing appropriate fittings to put the new sender bulb into that same port in the engine. Chances are not good that you will find a unit used and in good condition. And a NOS unit will still be at least 61 years old. If money and time is not an object, I would look in Hemmings to find a vendor who could rebuild yours.

Guest Thuff51

Thank you as I feared that would be the case. Got all the time in the world but money another matter :) May just go with a new mechanical guage.. Thanks

Guest Thuff51

Hye Ply33.. I saw your write up in another thread and that does look promising. May give that a shot. Thank you for the information

The capillary tube temperature gauges are a simple concept, but sometimes difficult to repair. Luckily there are a few things that are much more reliable. Those are coolant hoses less than 15 years old (that includes heater hoses), a proper sized, aligned, and tightened fan belt, a correct radiator cap, a clear, clean radiator, coolant less than 5 years old, a tight water pump shaft, and a cylinder head that is properly torqued. If all that stuff is checked and OK one could almost replace a cap tube gauge with a light bulb that came on to warn a soccer Mom who doesn't check those things.

Bernie