Oil Presure question???

33Rock

I just started my '33 Rockne flathead-6 yesterday after rebuilding it. It ran good but the gauge didn't register any oil pressure. Is there a simple troubleshooting trick to check that the oil pump is working?? Has anyone else had issues with an oil pump after reassemble? Does it need to be primed??

Thanks,

Not sure of your's but a lot of engines have a way to drive the pump with an electric drill and what ever adapter type coupling that works. That not only primes the pump but gets all the oil galleys filled and oil to where it needs to be. You will feel the drill really lug down once the pump get working. ..............Bob

I had that issue with my '33 Plymouth on first start up. Opened up all sorts of stuff to check for problems. Finally decided to put a known good gauge directly on the oil gallery and found plenty of pressure. Turns out the one piece of tubing I had not replaced was the oil line behind the dash to the gauge and it was clogged. . .

You should be able to get some pressure simply by spinning the engine with the starter, especially if the spark plugs are removed. You might try that with a known good gauge attached to see if it is something simple.

I'm completely unfamiliar with a Rockne engine but if the oil pump is not submerged below the oil level in the crankcase but rather external and mounted above the oil level, it's a general practice to pack some light grease or gear oil in the pump when reassembling to help it prime.

I use a thin coat of vaseline [it's petroleum jelly] on the pump gears and housing when reassembling an engine. It will seal the pump enough for it to prime itself. The vaseline mixes with the oil, and has done it's job.

The suggestions about installing a KNOWN good gauge are all right on target..

GLong