Water Pump Removal

Guest WP1934

Guest WP1934

On a 1934 Chrysler CA flat head six, does the radiator have to be removed to get the water pump out? There is not enought clearence just to unbolt the water pump itself. If the radiator must be removed, how do I do it? Any suggestions? Thank You.

Hi;

Not exactly sure how those older sixes are set up. But, on the later ones; first remove the fan belt. I assume the fan is attached to the water pump pulley. If it is, you should have just enough clearance between fan and radiator to remove the fan bolts. Once you do this, you can remove the fan and pulley from the pump. Then, you should have enough clearance to unbolt the pump and pull it loose.

JohnGB

Guest WP1934

As far as I can see, there are 3 bolts and 2 studs holding the water pump on the mounting flange. I removed all five nuts from the bolts/studs and tried to slide the pump foward, but there is not enough room between the blades and the radiator. I did have a piece of cardboard between the blades and the radiator but that just reduced the amount of space. I removed all 4 bolts holding the fan blades on the pulley, but again, there was not enought room to slide the blades out. I was able to remove the stud on the drivers side using the double nut process, but I have not been able to remove the stud on the passenger side. Tomorrow, I plan on trying to tip or turn the pump clockwise on the remaining stud to see if the blades can be removed that way. It's too bad Chysler could not have made this car about 3/4 of an inch longer. I guess the engineers thought it looked good enough on paper and their job was done. Someone should have taken the drawing pen out of their hands and replaced it with a 9/16" wrench and said, "Now you try to remove that pump." I will try to take some photos tomorrow and post them. Maybe by looking at it, someone will see what I am not seeing. Thanks

I believe that if you loosen the two large nuts under the radiator and remove one end of the upper water hose, you should be able to tilt the radiator forward enough to remove the pump. There may be some side bolts and struts to remove, too. Maybe the hood will have to come off, too.

Guest WP1934

I was able to remove the water pump without touching the radiator. I did what I mentioned in my last post. I turned the fan so the rivets were not in the way. I rotated the water pump on the last stub towards the passenger side and was able to remove the fan. I then slide the pump forward and off it came!

I have attached a photo of the mounting flange showing the stud. I also attached a photo of the hoses and tube that were on my car. Now remember, this is not a restored car - just a low mileage original vehicle that will not be restored - just maintained. The lower hose has the heater valve still in it and the hose is red lined. Not something you see everyday. Thanks to everyone who helped.

post-58191-143141895164_thumb.jpg

post-58191-14314189516_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest Chrysler from France

Hi there, I've just removed my water pump too on my 1933 CO 6. Its bearings got worn very quickly for the second time, although they are greased. I have to get the axle & bearings rebuilt again. Did you managed to buy a repair kit or a new pump ?

I confirm you can remove the pump without dismantling the rad, hood, grille, etc. But it's a question of millimeter. The first time, I did the big job and naked the front of the car. I'm always pleased to hear about prewar Chrysler. Any pics of yours anywhere ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WP1934

Hi there. Go to page 2 in this section and go down to the 19th post titled "1934 Chrysler CA Sedan". The seventh posting down shows my car, a blue and black four door sedan. About the water pump repair, I went to a local antique car parts dealer to see if he had a new pump but he did not. He sent it out to be rebuilt -somewhere on the left coast - Arizona or California I think. He would not tell me the name of his source. Good luck with your car.

Guest WP1934

I already replaced the water pump on the car. I have to look for motor mounts. Any ideas as to where I can find some? Thanks

I believe that the water pump repair kits that are available on eBay and elsewhere fit both the smaller engined Plymouths and the larger engined Chryslers, so you should be able to get a kit. That being said, I think access to appropriate machine tools (press, possibly a lathe) is needed to do a reasonable job.

Arthur Gould rebuilds those old water pumps and the one I had done by him has lasted far longer than any of my previous rebuilds including those I'd done myself. So from my point of view, it is reasonable to farm that out.

By the way, the early Chrysler product water pumps use bushing type bearings and my experience is that they don't take a lot of side loading well. Adjust your fan belt as loose as you can with out it slipping and the water pump will last a long time. Tighten it up like you would a modern vehicle's and you'll be needing a new or rebuilt pump in short order.

I already replaced the water pump on the car. I have to look for motor mounts. Any ideas as to where I can find some? Thanks

Antique Auto Parts Cellar, also doing business as Then And Now Automotive, has a revulcanizing service.