Early automobile chassis

West Peterson

Received by me via e-mail: The second photo looks to be a familiar logo, but I cannot place it??? International Harvestor???

"Recently I was at a very old fashioned tractor "junkyard" and beneath a pile of used implements was what appeared to be a very early car, perhaps from the teens or earlier. With a handshake and a few dollars the "heap" of parts became mine. I have no idea what the car could possibly be but it appears to be a unique chassis and parts of a motor that I assume are the same vehicle. Can anyone out there identify the car and possible year(s). Thanks again for publishing this mysterious car."

post-33613-143138135486_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143138135489_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143138135492_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143138135495_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143138135497_thumb.jpg

At the time that this car was built J.I.Case, and International Harvestor, (IHC) were seperate companys and compeditors at that. Case IH was formed in 1984 when Case bought out IHC. The company was then merged with New Holland in 1999. CNH is marked on the parts boxes even. Sperry - New Holland was bought by the Ford tractor division in 1986. To form "Ford New Holland Inc." The New Holland line of equipment was, and still is, made in New Holland Pennsylvania. New Holland started out building stationary farm engines in the early part of the 1900's and feed grinders and other farm implements of very good quality. In the 50's 60;s and 70's they built some of the best haybines and foraging equipment that could be had. We had three NH haybines on our farm and from personal experiance I can tell you that they were tested tough. They also built a very good side delivery rake. If you like a nice Steak from time to time, you can thank the folks at New Holland for providing the equipment to get the hay from the field to the live stock.

Fiat, purchased an 80 per cent interest in Ford New Holland and the full integration process was completed at the official launch of New Holland at the worldwide convention in 1994. The company is now "Case New Holland" or CNH.

And here we are all these years later and now you can see that we no longer own controlling factor of these once strong American companys that have basically become one.

The mark on the frame is from the foundry that it was cast/ forged at and has nothing to do with the farm machinery manufacturers. A little long winded, maybe. But now you have the facts as to why in is not a Case IH. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)