TOUCH SCREEN

padgett

If it always comes back, you have an intermittant wiring problem. Do you need to reset the clock each time ? Any trouble codes (see FAQ on <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net" TARGET=_blank>http://www.reatta.net</A> for how to retrieve)?<P>Probably just a bad connection (worse when it rains ?) but finding it could be difficult/time consuming.

thanks for responding.No the clock doesn't need to be reset each time.The condition shows no correlation to weather. The last few days it has been flicking off and coming back on within seconds. But usually it remains off for at least ten minutes.

I talked to a Reatta owner in Mass last week with a similar problem and would check the connections at the CRT and IPC. <P>If that doesn't fix the problem it may be a bad connection at the Central Power Supply or a power supply going bad.<P>The power supply is located behind the left side of the instrument panel.. should be a rectangular metal box.

MY 88 REATTA HAS 119K MILES ON IT. THE TOUCH SCREEN AND DASH GO OUT PERIODICALLY. I LIVE IN THE ST.LOUIS AREA AND CANNOT ANYONE TO WORK ON IT. THE CAR RUNS GREAT, LOTS OF POWER BUT POOR GAS MILEAGE (ABOUT 15MPG)WHEN THE DASH GOES BLANK THE ECC(TOUCH SCREEN SOON FOLLOWS) FOR ABOUT 10-30 MIN. IT ALWAYS VARIES.ANY SUGGESTIONS? I DONT DO MY OWN MECHANICAL WORK AND CANT FIND AN HONEST MECHANIC WHO DOES THIS KIND OF ELECTRICAL WORK. BUT I LOVE THE CAR AND DONT WANT TO SELL IT!

Copperskip, Where in St Louis do You live? I live in Nashville Illinois. I also work in St Louie at Metro link. I may be able to help You with Your car if You dont mind driving out here. I do have schematics for them. Email Me if You are interested.

If you feel the CRT is bad, the best prices are from Rex Service in Worth Ill.<BR>Call 708-448-5558 for more information and their shipping address.<P>I did some calling before the holidays and found Rex to have rebuild service for around $100. All the other "service locations" charge $200-$250 for the same service.<BR>Rex only business is CRT's. <P>If you need your radio, instrument cluster, cassette, or other GM electronics repaired, do a search on this site for the names of locations near you.

I have the same problem occassionally with the wiggle lines on the bottom 1/4 of my CRT screen. My Reatta is an '89 model also. Is there any companies that offer exchanges for the CRT? I'm not sure if the screen is failing or a loose connection somewhere...

All the answers to my questions are explained in the service manual on page 8D-40, computer system diagnosis.<BR>1.none of the switch positions respond.<BR>2.some switchs respond.<BR>3.CRT's picture rolls<BR>4.not all the border switchs work<BR>5.no CRT backlighting

A C553 and no B552 indicates a faulty power line to the CRTC (if both the BCM and the CRTC had lost power e.g. the battery was removed, you would get both). Are you losing the radio presets ?<P>FSM indicates that continual C553 without B552 is the result of a bad connection. So might try R&Ring the CRTC connectors.<P>Reset the code and see if they come back.

Bingo, I'm losing presets. Where are the C-codes found?<BR>thanks padgett: off topic I had my car buffed at a body shop yesterday, and used some of that Zaino's car polish today- shines like a new car now. I don't know what's in that stuff but it works like magic and is easy to apply and remove.<P>Drivin': the manual said for the rolling picture disconnect the CRT and connect tool <J-34914> to see if the test tool rolls, if so replace CRT, if the test tool does not roll check for open or short in CKT 723 or poor terminal contact.

Thanks TCams76. Based on your suggestions I think the problem is poor terminal contact because when I hit a large bump in the road, the CRT jumps back to normal. I'll investigate - where do you find the test tool J34914?

THANK YOU ANYWAY SKIP, BUT I HAVE A HUGE BOOK FULL OF SCHEMATICS. I AM AFRAID OF SCREWING IT UP WORSE IF I MESS WITH IT.<P>I WILL TRY THE PHONE NUMBER OF THE GUY IN ILL.

Hi Skip !<BR> I just tried to email you but my computer is misbehaving today. No luck with the mechanic in Worth IL. I may have misunderstood you-were you offering your help, or just your schematics? Please advise. I love this little car but I am getting frustrated. You may email me at COPPERSKIP709@YAHOO.COM<BR>Thank you....Carrie rolleyes.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0

I had the crt blinking problem several years ago, turned out to be the power supply Barney mentioned. Found the problem by accident, pulled the lower panel which exposed the power supply and accidently kicked the box while exiting the car and the dash blinked (big feet). From there I just tapped the box with the butt end of a screwdriver and was able to manipulate the display. Getting to the box is no big deal, pull the lower panel above the pedals, rectangular shiney aluminum box held in by 3 screws I think. part # for the testing tool was er' 11