installing tires on split rims

1929Chrysler

I just purchased new tires and tubes for my '29 Chrysler and need advise on the best way to install them onto the rims. I've been told I need a rim splitter to curve the rim "inward" to allow enough room to slide a tire on.

I hope I'm using the right term when I say "split rim" The best description I can give is that there is a split in the rim going width wise aprox.5 inches across and there appears to be a place near the split where you can place a tool (assuming the rim splitter)to pull the rim inward away from the tire.

I was also given the advise to take it to a truck stop and they could mount them.

My biggest concern is that I would either like to get them painted, powder coated or plated (possibly cadmium) and I am afraid that the finish will get nicked or chipped in the process of mounting. Please advise me on what you think should be done and how to do it.

Thank You

Dan Pajestka

Demounting your old tires and mounting the new ones onto your split rims can be done with the right sort of tire irons, but it will be time-consuming, frustrating, and likely knuckle-skinning; particularly the first time you do it. Much easier with a proper "Rim Tool" if you can buy or borrow one. The hooks are used to pull the rim in, and the pads at the ends of the arms to push it back out again. Rim Tools show up regularly on eBay and various old car classified ad locations. (attached picture lifted from The H. H. Franklin Club website)

post-30634-143137930983_thumb.jpg

From rubber on the road to rubber on the road can be done in 15 minutes without marking the rim or felloe. I can mount 4 new tires and tubes on my car in one hour and ten minutes. The ten minutes extra is how long it takes to move the tools from corner to corner. Without a rim jack (using a screwdriver a short 2x4 and a bottle jack) adds about ten minutes to each tire and the possibility of chipping the paint.

After mounting 11 sets of tires on a car in 47 years (and 6 flats in the first 2 years and none since in 450,000 miles [touch wood]} you get slightly proficient at it. The problem I find now is remembering how I did it the last time. Things seem to fade away out of memory faster now than they did in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest you get your rims plated if you are concerned about damaging paint. I use corn starch to make everything slip in place. This includes the tubes and flaps as well as the tires. I use a rim tool per the posted photo, but be sure you get one that is the right size for your rims. Two flat irons with rounded ends work almost as well if you know how to work them. You really need a demonstration to learn the tricks.