removing a '41 Continental radiator

Paul K.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.Are the two large bolts on the lower side of the radiator the only ones holding it in? Does the fan have to come off first? Is the fan attached to its shaft with 4 bolts screwed in from the back of the fan? This one is wedged in pretty good. Thank you

The large 2 bolts that come in from the side at the bottom are the only bolts attaching the radiator. Those 4 hoses pretty much keep the radiator in position. To remove the radiator you work it forward at the bottom then lift it and tilt it back over the front of the engine. I think you do need to remove the fan. There are 3 bolts that attach the fan. They are behind the flange for the damper and are very close to the edge of the opening making it difficult to undo them with a 1/2" wrench so patience is required. Good luck

Guest imported_V12Bill

Besides the fan it might help you to remove the generator. The radiator is very heavy, about 80# and you have to lean over the fenders and/or the grille to lift it out. I would suggest putting heavy cardboard over the front of the engine so as not to poke holes in the rad or mess up the fins. I would strongly suggest that you enlist the aid of a healthy young assistant to assist you.

i've had my radiator out three times in the last year so here is the deal. take out the two large bolts on each side of the bottom of radiator after removal of hoses. take off the fan by removing the three bolts from the back of fan-- a very thin half inch open end wrench will barely fit. after fan is off push radiator backwards and it should pull right out. you will need a helper to lift it out. since it is so tight it is very easy to damage radiator on removal and installation. david