2007 Barett Jackson Scottsdale - 1959 VW Convertible Questions

6219_Rules

Did anyone happen to see this car? It was lovingly restored with all the optional stuff, but I was wondering what the red rings that were around the base of the hubcaps were for, as did the commentator?

I noticed too that they mentioned the dip stick but not the toe lever inside the car for the 2 gallon reserve tank. And since when was there an AM/FM radio on a 1959 VW?? Was that an option? Was FM available then?

The only thing the car was missing was the Blumenvase. Very German. Ours had one... it sported fresh flowers until the late 60s when it started leaking, so we used plastic (yuck) blooms. I miss that touch.

The modern VW has it though. Its nice to see again. I miss those little touches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone happen to see this car?</div></div>

Looks like you're asking about this one, Randall?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/cardetails.asp?In_AuctionID=221&In_LotNumber=708.1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was lovingly restored with all the optional stuff, but I was wondering what the red rings that were around the base of the hubcaps were for, as did the commentator</div></div>

I have a VAGUE recollection of seeing or hearing about those--I think they're just a styling do-dad of some sort, held on by the hubcap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed too that they mentioned the dip stick but not the toe lever inside the car for the 2 gallon reserve tank. And since when was there an AM/FM radio on a 1959 VW?? Was that an option? Was FM available then?</div></div>

I believe you could get the dipstick from the dealership, as an accessory (probably for those individuals who "couldn't handle" not having a gas gauge)--but the car should've had the gas tank reserve lever also, if it's a true '59 (you wouldn't be able to see it, however, with that under-dash parcel tray in place--at least not at the angle of the interior photo). I believe there were 6v AM/FM radios available, but don't know if it would've been appropriate for a '59. The engine (dual port, alternator, etc....say, that alternator suggests a 12v upgrade also...) certainly appears to be from a later car, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that there could be other "incorrect" features.

The *color* of that car sure looks a lot like L346 Mango Green--which is the color of my beloved '60 Sunroof. Two thumbs up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, did you notice he's claiming 36 HP? Maybe he pulled a spark plug wire off. What do you think the wooden knob is beside the shifter? Doesn't look the right location for a heater knob. Also has accessory ash cup. </div></div>

I can't tell what that is, Doug--maybe a bottle of vino to celebrate the sale?!

• 2 years later...

36 HP would be correct. I owned a 1960 VW from 1968 - 72 while I was in college that was 36 HP. 1960 was also the year VW increased the HP. I am not sure, but I believe the beginning of the year used the 36 HP engine while the end of the year had the increased HP engine. The max speed for my 36 HP VW was 58 mph unless I was drafting a semi.

• 3 months later...

A 1192cc 36hp with 6 volt electrical system would be correct for that car however, the engine that is presented is a 1300-1500-1600cc type with dual port cylinder heads and the car has been converted to 12 volts. That in itself makes the car a resto- mod vehicle and NOT a restored vehicle.

You can always tell the 36 and 25 hp engines from the newer type because on the original design by Franz Reimspiess the generator stand is cast (not bolted on) into the rt side of the engine case and the fuel pump is mounted opposite and on the left side if the distributor on the horizontal plane with the crankshaft

The last year the 36 hp engine was used in the U.S export version was Aug. 1960. The last year the 36hp was produced for europe was Aug. 1965 in the standard model (type 111 and 112 sedans) ( 115 and 116 standard sunroof).

The first year the 40hp (also a 1192 cc but new design) was used was Sept. 1960 as a 61 model and was used to Aug. 1965 in the deluxe ( U.S export models sedan=type 113, sunroof type 117 and type 151 cabriolet.

In europe the 40 hp engine was used in the standard model (type 111) until the end of beetle production in Germany ( Jan, 1978 ) in fact the very last beetle produced in germany was a 40hp type 111.

1966 would be the first year ( and only year for the U.S. beetles) for the newer and bigger 1300 engine.

1966 european deluxe beetles 1300 model also came with 12 volts and disc brakes ( yes they had two voltages 6volt for standard 1200 and 12 volt for the deluxe 1300. In the U.S. they had 6 volt 1300.

The last 6 volt beetle produced for the U.S.A. was 1966. The last year a 6volt system was used in europe was 1968.

1966 was the first year bendix produced a 6volt am-fm radio called a saphire 4 ( or 1V ) there were other brands that were used that had fm earlier.

In stock deluxe trim the 59 cabriolet (or any beetle) did not have a gas gauge and would not have one until 1961, and past 1967 in the standard model. The reserve tap located above the central tube on the firewall allowed one gallon of reserve fuel. There were dealer installed aftermarket fuel gauges offered and this vehicle has one of them.

Don