Can't Buy it? Make it! 1915 Buick Axle.

Dandy Dave

Hello Berta, I've been taking to Larry and told him about this a while ago. And yes, I believe he did see this.

I got in a conversation over in the AACA general Forum about where stuff disappears to after a time. Wayne said, do a search. And I did a search and posted a link to the thread. Someone responded and Wal-la. Here it is at the top again! And here for quite some time I thought it was gone for good! I'm glad it is not. cool.gif But I do wish there was a way I could edit out some of the links to the smileys that were on the old website.

The first thing Larry needs to do is jack up the back end and see which wheel slides off and still has a piece of axle attached to it. If the wheels do not slide out, then it could be a keyway key, or the driveshaft. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

• 1 year later...
Guest jules greenway

Dave

what a great description of a very ambitious task! did the finished axle need to be heat treated or is the modern steel tough enough without?

cheers

Jules

• 1 year later...

Larry Brought me his axles awhile back and I have finally got around to making them. Here is a link to the chat in the AACA General Forum for you interested Buick Guys that do not venture there often.

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/making-axles-again-322685.html#post1003785

P.S. Triller, I held out a while, but Larry never said he would unload that rearend less C-4 Buick Truck he has taking up space. I guess you are out of luck on this one as he will soon have his parts. ;).... :).....:D Dandy Dave!

Hey Dave. Re your "new" B&S 2L surface grinder. If you need to do any work on it I have the disassembly and repair manual. I needed to do a lot of work on mine including fabricating a new cross feed screw and nut. The whole machine is lubricated by an oil pump and about 15 Bijur type metering jets. You'll want to make sure they are working.......................Bob

Hey Dave. Re your "new" B&S 2L surface grinder. If you need to do any work on it I have the disassembly and repair manual. I needed to do a lot of work on mine including fabricating a new cross feed screw and nut. The whole machine is lubricated by an oil pump and about 15 Bijur type metering jets. You'll want to make sure they are working.......................Bob

The original post was 2007 when I made axles for my 1915 Buick C-36 roadster so the B&S suface grinder has been here for a bunch of years now.

I am familier with the Bijur one shot oilers. My Bridgport Mill has one as well as other machinery I have run in the past. Yes, just like our early cars, these machines need regular lubrication. I do have the books for my machine as well. Thanks for the offer Bhigdog, Dandy Dave!