trailering early DBs

bobs1916

I will be trilering my 1916 touring car to the upholstery shop and I wondered what advice /experiences anybody could share. I have trailered many cars but none as old as the '16. I mostly am concerned with the front end. Do the front wheels need to be strapped along with the front avle assembly ? It looks like the front axle is not the beefiest place to strap a car Thanks as always folks.

Bob:

I have trailed many cars in the teens and twenties (16 T, 23 Moon, 24 Star, 23 Dodge)and never had a problem with chaining down the fron axle. I also have stop blocks in front and behind the wheels. One thing that you should do is remove the seats and floor boards on open cars. They tend to get air under them and take a ride on their own. Have a nice day.

Jan

I agree with Jan. I always tie directly to the axles of all cars I haul, never tie to the bumpers or body as the car bounces up and down and loosens tie downs. I have also had floorboards lift up when towing so I either remove them or set something heavy on them.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi AL yes thats a fair request!!! As I have mentioned on previous posts the car a June 1916 build date was found in a Barn in Wisconsin where it had sat for 50 years. I wanted to restore a 16 17 or 18 so as to replicate a military Dodge of that era. The 1916 came along and I felt that I would have the model that was used by General Pershing as he persued Pancho Villa along the mexican border in 1916 and 17. Needing a full rsstoration I opted to paint it in US Army drab of that era .I was fully aware that the first Army Dodges were factory black in color. Using samples from my collection of ww1 artifacts I had the correct shade of brownish green made up for me by a local auto parts deal It is a PPG paint

I plan to use the car for ww1 living history events . I also own a 1943 Dodge 3/4 ton command car from ww2

Al

one more thing as I wait to get the car over to the upholterer to complete the seat backs I used old army blankets to cover the original fron seat . We used to vehicle last week in a local pre-St Patty's day parade honoring a famous Irish unit in ww1 Heres a picture of that plus some of the guys!!!