Stutz engine color

ACDMuseum

The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum is currently restoring a 1933 Stutz chassis for exhibit in our "Hall of Classics" gallery. It is an SV16 with a 150-inch wheelbase. The original body was a LeBaron limousine. Naturally, we want our restoration to be as accurate as possible which leads us to this question: What should be the color of the engine? It is now a dark red and that appears to be the only paint on the engine, i.e. there is no other paint underneath the red such as black.

Can someone give us a definitive answer? Thank you for your consideration.

Jon Bill, archivist

archive@acdmuseum.org

Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum

Auburn, Indiana

The correct color is dark green. Make sure it's not apple green like Duesenberg had, it was originally darker than that. By the way, I saw your chassis and what was left of the body when it was in Detroit before it was donated to the museum. I believe it's a 144 inch wheelbase, not 150 inch. Are you sure it's a 1933? I thought it was more like a late 1931 or 1932 model. I remember either the head or block was cracked on the passanger side of the engine. The crack was repaired with a plate with something like 30 screws holding it in. I guess to sit in a museum it won't make any difference.

• 2 years later...

Not to be conflicting here, but my pamphlet called the Low Weighted Stutz dated January 1929 states the engine color as black. Our former 33 Weymann had a red engine, and the one in my current 30's something boattail is Duesy green. For what it's worth my body number is 129-1020

Rick Abbott

Hi Jon -

We are currently restoring 1932 and 1934 Stutzes - both SV cars. These cars had green engine blocks - but had been repainted. For the projects, we purchased a spare 1932 engine - original unrestored and it is dark green, as we beleive all late Stutzes were. Blocks were black until 1931, I beleive. I have never seen or heard of a reference to any other engine block colors on late Stutzes.

Good luck -

Tom Rasmussen

Odyssey Restorations, Inc.

Mpls, MN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: odyssey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Jon -

We are currently restoring 1932 and 1934 Stutzes - both SV cars. These cars had green engine blocks - but had been repainted. For the projects, we purchased a spare 1932 engine - original unrestored and it is dark green, as we beleive all late Stutzes were. Blocks were black until 1931, I beleive. I have never seen or heard of a reference to any other engine block colors on late Stutzes.

Good luck -

Tom Rasmussen

Odyssey Restorations, Inc.

Mpls, MN </div></div>

To my knowledge this is correct.

• 1 month later...