Something I haven't seen since long ago... 1980 LeSabre turbo

Philippe Racicot

I just saw this one for sale in Montreal. It's been at least 15 years since I have seen a 1980 LeSabre turbo coupe. The one I saw was the same color. I thought it had "turbo coupe" emblems with portholes on the front fenders like the 78-79 (and unlike the other 1980 LeSabres that didn't have portholes) but I was wrong.

I don't know if the link will work, the car seems to be in average condition, not a low mileage car...

http://www.hebdo.net/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=24353766&pgno=1&srt=1

Guest imported_Thriller

That's a nice car...and old enough to qualify for many car clubs and in some locales for vintage / antique plates. Cool.

I thought I knew Buicks pretty well, but that is the first I have ever seen or heard of a 1980 LeSabre Turbo Coupe. I thought they only made these in 1978 and 1979, but obviously, I'm wrong. Thanks, Philippe, for pointing this one out. Has anyone else ever seen one of these from 1980? I'm planning to do a Bugle article on the '78 and '79 Turbo Coupes next year, but it just got expanded to include 1980!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Bugle Editor

The Turbo V6 was available in the Regal, LeSabre and Riviera in 1980, it was still the carb version, of course, I haven't seen any numbers on how many were built anywhere though, I think they were pretty slim But from Before Black web page

Regal Sport Coupe: 6,276*

LeSabre Coupe/Sport Coupe: 8,342 (NOTE: Figure includes all LeSabre base coupe and Sport Coupe models, not just those with the Turbo V6)

Century: ? (NOTE: There were just 1,074 Century Coupes which includes all base, Limited, and Sport/Turbo Coupe models, not just those with the Turbo V6. There were also 129,740 Sedans, some of which were turbocharged.)

Riviera S Type: 7,217 (NOTE: not clear if number is Total Turbo V6 or Total S Type. V8 and Turbo V6 available on both Riviera and S Type models)

I'd really like a '79 or '78 LeSabre turbo coupe. I think they look great!

I remember seeing a '79 Century turbo coupe in the early nineties, I didn't know they were so rare. The car had flat black paint and turbine wheelcovers. It was parked in a Costco store (Club Price back then).

The only turbocharged Buick I have driven was a tired 1980 Riviera S/Type that was advertised about 10 years ago in the local newspaper. I was looking for a winter beater and the owner wanted 900$ for it. The body wasn't so bad for a northeastern car with some rust on the windshield posts but it's engine didn't seem to be in great shape and it had those wire wheelcovers and an aftermarket continental kit with a matching wire wheelcover which I didn't like too much...

When I have test driven the car, I felt that the turbo V6 lacked power. Even when I floored it, the amber light for the turbo boost came on but the Riv had about the same performance as my 1984 Corolla sedan! A few days after I went to look at it, I saw the same car and it's new owner at the wheel a few times in my hometown and not more than two weeks later, it was dead in the middle of the street with the hazard flashers on. This was the last time I saw it so I suppose it went to the junkyard.

Another interesting Buick from this era is the '78-'79 Century wagon with the sport package. I don't know how it was called but I think it had the same grille as the Century turbo. Roberta, do you have information on this model?

I owned a 79 LeSabre Turbo Coupe, It was almost a candy apple red with black cordory interior. Real sharp looking car, rode and handled great and plenty of pep. One major problem though. The top end of the engine would chew itself up after every oil change. This happened 3 times (all under warranty)and then I decided it had to go. This was back in the days of 12 month 12,000 mile warranties. The dealer couldn't wait for me to get rid of it. Traded that baby in for a 1980 Vette, not sure which was the bigger piece of junk! At our regional meet this past August a guy showed up in a 79 LeSabre Turbo Coupe, I am not sure exactly what the problem was but I know he had just purchased the car and had a very difficult time getting it to the show. The car was very sharp and clean, did not look beat at all, I can remember thinking to myself that this is one car I would never own again.

Glenn