Did anyone see the 53 Fiesta RM auctions sold for $243,000 ?

Guest Fiesta

I heard RM Auctions sold a 53 Fiesta at their annual Michigan auction for $243k. I checked their auction results at their web site and it also says $243k. Did anyone see the car? I know they ussually go for in the low 100s for a nice restored car but $243 sounds very high.

I'll be honest with you. I don't follow the auctions, because I don't consider them reflective of the real world old car hobby.

As you said, "I know they usually go for in the low 100s for a nice restored car but $243 sounds very high."

And that is the case in almost all auction activity now. A highroller gets into it with a win-at-any-cost mentality and drives the price nearly double of what the car should reasonably sell for and crows "Look what I could afford to pay for this!"(inference: and you can't). Then the auction company makes a big deal about "Look what we sold a car for!" (and made outrageous commission on) and everybody with a similar or lesser model automatically thinks their car is worth the same money.

Then the highroller with too much invested in his car isn't about to sell it off for less than his cost, so values stay artificially high.

Even in swap meet car corrals, I see mundane cars in average or less condition with very high asking money. One guy locally has three vehicles that he's trying to get $16,500 each for (yah, small change in today's world) but considering what each needs, all three together aren't worth $16,500. But- he saw similar cars selling for that money, so he thinks his are worth same.

Umph. Let me down off the soapbox.

Guest xan021

Thank you Glenn. I appreciate your reply. I asked if anyone saw it because I thought maybe there was something special about this Fiesta.

I am a bit confused. This auction advertised a 53 Skylark, an Eldorado and the Fiesta to be sold as one lot, I just checked the results and they sold all three as separate lots one after the other. I think the three were matching in color. Maybe one person tried to buy all three.

Just some more info.

Well guys, such is life in the hobby now. A car I am very aware of was recently appraised for $500,000. An offer was made for $700,000 and refused. Why? Waiting for a big auction. Everyone is waiting to see the prices at the Otis Chandler auction later this month...

As an aside, I think the previous high for a Fiesta was in the $175,000 range although most had sold at around 125k in the past.

I was surprised the Fiesta brought more money than the Eldorado. The Eldorado always brought more than the Fiesta even though the Fiesta is rarer. Steve, is this Fiesta that you talked listed for sell at this Otis Chandler auction? That is definitely great news for those who have 1. Anyone knows for sure how many are left? I hear about 35.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

guys. i was at the auction. the cars were sold as a package. the high bidder was a telephone bidder. the price was around $700k. the cars were all red/orange in colour (with the fiesta being the two tone white/red-orange. the fiesta was in very good condition but not perfect. in my view the interior orange colour did not match well with the exterior colour. there was a shade of diference. it was not in my view a 100 point car. maybe 95 to 98. but i am picky. the skylark and eldorado were better cars. the final price on the rm website was an allocated price. the fiesta never sold for $243. the package sold on the phone for around $700. take of it what you may!!