To rod or not to rod a 40/41 convertible

bwoll

I am interested in getting a 40/41 coupe/continental convertible. I would like to drive the car once a week. I would really like to have a car with the original V12. I am assuming an original engine will make the car appreciate much better than a car with a rodded engine in it.

So the question is: Can you keep a V12 car running reliably to drive 50 miles once a week? Any guesses on yearly maintanance costs to keep it running? Is there anyone in Southern California who can work on these cars?

Thanks very much,

Bryan

Please dont rod......the h-v12 is a great performer..with od or 2 speed..once running and in decent shape will travel highway speeds with 6 volt dependably. I had trouble with mine until I

freshed up the engine..common sense repair..you would do the same to any ford, gm or jap car..minor updates..good machine work and I think Henry did ok, it is a Lincoln afterall.........any boner can stick a new engine in a car, it's just not right or nec.

jeff

oHIo

Hi Bryan,

First of all, good luck finding a 1940/41 Lincoln Zephyr convertible. They were relatively low production vehicles when new and their survival rate is very poor. It would be a shame to "street rod" any of the few that remain. There a LOT more 1940/41 Continentals left than there are Zephyrs, and although their production was LOWER than Zephyrs, their survival rate is phenominal!! Take a look at the Webshots photo album of the 2005 LZOC meet at Carlsbad, CA at: http://community.webshots.com/album/355325423eWUQwq and you will see TWELVE 1940/41 Continentals and NO 1940/41 Zephyrs!

That being said, I would strongly suggest that you join the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club. There is an on-line application at lzoc.org. The directory that comes with membership lists suppliers of all kinds of parts and services, as well as a list of club members and their cars. Also, the LZOC website has classified advertising sections for cars, parts, and services.

Finally, there are more LZOC members in California than in any other state so you are in the "Mecca" of Lincoln Zephyr ownership. Almost anything you need should be fairly readily available in California.

Good luck in your search. Keep us posted in what you find.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the responses. Just to make clear, I would never hot-rod an original car. I see a few hot-rodded continentals for sale and they go for much less moola. since I was seeing more hot-rodded continentals than original v12 cars for sale, that got me thinking it might be expensive to keep an original v12 driving. This will be the most I have ever spent on a car and don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks again,

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to go another route, I have a 1942 Continental Cabriolet for sale that has a Lincoln V8 installed by a Lincoln dealer in 1952. You could have a reliable basic V8 and not feel that you are committing any blasphemy, or someday find a V12 and put in it. They are great looking cars and a lot of fun. Dave Mitchell packard12s@hotmail.com