title for barn car

doc1590

Hi everyone,

I'm new and actually am doing research for a friend. He owns some property and was getting ready to sell it to a developer here in Florida. In a building on the property, he found a car. It's a 1939 Chrysler. There is no information as to the titled owner or if it was titled in Florida. No tag or other indication of registration.

The car is in fair shape and he wants to restore it, IF he will be able to title it and register it. Does anyone have any ideas where he can get a title for this car?

dave miller

orlando, florida

Guest imported_OlChev

I have used Broadway on one car we purchased through a collector in Canada. The car was never issued a Canadian title. It worked fine here in Utah, we just had to fill out an affidavid with the explanation. You will need a VIN number, or an Engine number for ID.

You may be able to have the Florida DMV search for any records of the car using the VIN or Engine numbers if you can find them.

If you can demonstate that the car was abandoned on the property, and that you are the new legal owner of the property, that may be enough to issue a new title in your name. In Utah they issue a new vin plate with a number assigned by the state.

Also some states will issue a new title if you purchase a bond for the value of the car. That way if the original owner makes a claim against it they are reimbursed for the value. I cannot imagine that the bond would be very expensive given the value of the car.

I would call your local DMV and ask for any information on abandoned cars.

Good Luck....

I just had to do this for a car that was in a barn here in Massachusetts since 1951. Mass is an extra fun because the main thing with them is sales tax which was instituted in 1968. I ended up making about 5 trips to the registry of motor vehicles and it took 2 months but I now have a title. It required the following:

1. Affidavit from the seller stating that the car has not been registered since 1951 and was never titled.

2. Affidavit from me stating when I bought it and what the purchase price was.

3. Copy of probate document establishing that seller had right to sell car (was from his dad's estate).

4. Massachuetts vehicle inspection form filled out by police verifying VIN number.

There may have been some other stuff but it was a nightmare.

A.J.

I read their website. Seems handy for older cars. I had talked to them years ago about an old Alfa Romeo but they wanted top dollar for an Italian car. Ended up making it into a vintage racer.

I had forgotten who they were, but just remembered it was an Alabama loop hole.

I'm going to give this to my friend and he can check with Florida DMV. He is a lawyer so I'm sure he will screw it up.

Actually, I was hoping to buy the car from him cheap but I don't think that's going to happen. He knows nothing about restoration and to him it's just a dusty old car. But to me... It appears to be ALL there with only surface rust on the body. Frame is solid and interior is probably going to clean up. Odo shows 97K. This could be a repaint survivor.

Thanks for the help.

dave miller

orlando, florida

Yes, I've used them in Florida several times. You actually sell them the car on paper and buy it back as an Alabama registered vehicle and then get a Florida Police officer to verify the Vin #

and apply for a Florida title. The State of Florida runs the check and issues a new title.

Works fine on legitimate deals, never tried a crooked one.