1951 cadillac starter motor

69_granprix

can anyone tell me the delco-remy part number for a 6v. (331 cu.in) 1951 cadillac starter motor. We think we might have a 12v motor installed. The cranking problems we'er having points to a faulty battery but we've tried a number of different batteries including a 6v. optima with 950 cranking amps, with the same results, the engine does not seem to spin as fast as it should. I consider myself fairly sharp. but, this has me stumped. Any help would be really,really appreciated.

thanks 69granprix

Guest quadfins

What condition are the cables? They might be corroded internally, and creating enough resistance that 6v can't push enough power to the starter.

There was a typo the part number is 1107969EorF20. We installed new larger 6v. cables.When we installed the new optima battery, the car started ok. We let it run for awhile shut it off and tried to restart it. It acted like we had a low battery again! The starter motor has been rebuilt twice by the most reputable builder in the west. I've checked and cleaned the ground. Still perplexed. Thank you for any help. Joe

what is the normal current draw for this starter motor at room temp.and under load. I was thinking of using a clip on cable ammeter to measure the draw, any thoughts. I'm thinking the starter motor might bench test OK but fail under load. Thrust clearance seems ok and no bearing slop.Need technical help. Joe

Hey 69:

These kind of problems can drive you nuts.

I would try several things to eliminate the obvious.

First I would remove the spark plugs and turn the engine by hand several complete revolutions to make sure you have no tight bearings.

With the plugs back in, bypass the solenoid with jumper cable or heavy wire. If it spins faster, its probably solenoid.

Also, make sure that the bell housing surface that the starter bolts to is clean and dry, because that surface is the ground for the starter.

You can also run a jumper cable from the starter housing to the ground terminal on the battery to bypass any grounding issues.

Keep us posted

Is this car pos. or neg ground.

Mena, the bearings aren't tight. With the plugs removed you can turn the engine using a 10" ratchet handle. I'm not quite sure how to by-pass the solenoid main contacts and still operate the solenoid. Is there a risk of (1)damaging the threads on the heavy solenoid terminals (2) causing a heavy spark at the battery? The car is neg. grd....... Joe

A six volt system in proper working order doesn't spin as fast as a twelve volt system.

Checking the timing is a good idea. A starter working with a strong battery against a tight or too far advanced motor will growl and grunt, maybe even smoke if the current path is 100%. Does the starter get hot?

What I wonder, is the battery charging? Running with a defective generator or voltage regulator will drain even a new battery in short order.

Hey joe:

You're Right. It is tricky (and dangerous) to bypas the solenoid. You would need two people to do it, and you would have to make contact from the pos bat terminal to the bottom terminal of the solenoid. The one that connects to the bar coming out of the starter. And yes it would spark at the battery if that was the last connection made. Probably a bad idea after all.

Instead, try checking to see if you have a full 12 volts coming from the ignition switch to the small terminal on the solenoid.

The incorrect timing suggestion is a good one as well.

You said it started normally, then cranked slowly after runing for awhile.

Is this still the case.

Some starters had a metal heat shield between them and the block to prevent starter overheating. these shields seem to get lost over the years.