Wicked Wrath of the Auto Gods!!

redhot91

If there was such a thing I am definitely feeling it now. With two high mileage cars on my hands I stay plenty busy with routine maintance. It really bites us in the behind when it is something we can't pinpoint. Like pesky coolant leaks, new squeaky brakes, etc. Thanks to this board it has made all those nagging problems easier to deal with, especially for the novice "weekend" mechanic.

By the way, I have been coming to this site for years now, posting off and on. My memory is terrible I forget my username or password, sometimes I forget my own first name. I end up resetting everything with a new login. I'm always the mysterious newbie....so pardon my intrusion from time to time.

I'm usually in stealth mode reading, lots and lots of reading and research. Most of my answers can be found with a pot of coffee and a the handy "search" feature of the post archives. This is my second Reatta I have owned. My first was a 1990 Maui Blue that began having more problems than I had time to put into it. It had a hard life with 270,000+++ miles, so it ended up someone's part car. I really miss my Maui Blue. Anyhow...........

This one has me stumped.....my 91 red baby's engine compartment is rattling/knocking. The sound got worse with the A/C on. To describe the horrible "rattle" the best I can, it would be like dumping a bucket of bolts into the engine area. I have pinned the source of the sound to the drive belt area. After going on a hunch it was the power steering pump. Upon inspection of the PS pump I found the bearings were sticky and the fluid smelled burnt. It was a matter of time before it froze up, anyhow. After wrestling with the pulley on the steering pump for a few days....I got the new pump on,with a flush & new fluid....thinking I fixed the problem....I started her up. The awful sound was still there.

My wife is betting it is either the alternator, harmonic balancer, or idler pulley. I went with easiest thing to test, I pulled the alternator off and had it tested at AutoZone. It was good.

So my question is........now what? The noise is definetly on the drivebelt. I took the belt off, started it up and the rattle was gone.

Any sugestions on what to do next?.... before I dive in deeper and spend more time and money on my much needed daily driver.... I would really appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

a Novice Weekend Warrior Mechanic

with a 1991 Reatta 160,000 miles

Biloxi, MS

Guest F14CRAZY

I agree with the harmonic balancer...

Some have said they've got the bolt off by putting a socket on it and giving the starter motor a little tap. Seems my starter's weak grin.gif and that didn't work, so I borrowed a 48'' or so pipe wrench from my dad and used that to hold the harmonic balancer. You don't need a puller or anything after that...it'll probably fall off.

Tightening back up, I didn't use the pipe wrench in fear of damaging the rubber and just kinda held it by hand.

I should have known my wife was right....she always is. Thanks for posting the picture. Mine looks even worse than that one. I can take my fingernail and flake pieces of the rubber off. Not good...

Can I get one of the $10 repair kits from Napa to hold me over til payday? Has anyone had any luck with those? Also can I 'safely' still drive her with this problem? I limped her home 4 days ago when the the noise began and she has sat since. I'm craving my Reatta!! crazy.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

$10 repair kit? Doesn't sound safe. I got a new one from advance auto parts for like $80.

I wouldn't drive it with this problem. There's been a few instances of them flying off

Keep in mind that this is a '91 and the original engine was a code "L". The earlier code "C" has a slip fit balancer but the "L" has a tapered shaft and will require a puller.

BTW the Bonne was making a lot of noise.

post-31022-143137885293_thumb.jpg