Buick?? or Caddy??? Check this out!!

Mr Buick

Guest sintid58

I also noticed that, so I registered but still can't get on until I am ok'd by the site and go to my email and get directions how to log into it. Oh well I supppose I can be as irritating on their site as I am here.

Apparently the person on the assembly line at Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly didn't know they were working on a Buick instead of a Cadillac, and picked the wrong part. I'm assuming that this cover is installed after the engine is installed at the assembly plant. Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly builds both Cadillacs and Buicks on the same line. There should have been error-proofing aka a light is lit above the rack or material display that says pick this part for this vehicle. When I was the guru of error proofing for the Truck Group, we joked about zapping the operator if they picked the wrong part with some electrical shock. That never happened, of course. This is a bad thing, and unfortunately a reason, not to buy a first year model. I may look up the Quality Manager for Detroit-Hamtramck and send a link to him or her, to these forums, so they see what the potential customers are seeing!

Interesting question regarding when they apply the logo. In my tours of auto plants years ago, I thought that the engine plant would put on the logos for a "batch" that would be shipped to a particular assembly plant. If so, the engine may have gone to the wrong plant. It would be interesting to find out which was done, the logo at the engine plant or at the assembly plant.

Also, is it likely there are more? Not exactly like the upside down printing postage stamp, but an interesting situation.

John

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">won't that one be a fun one to explain to the judges years from now </div></div>

Interesting note Keith........who's to say this kind of error didn't happen in previous years, say 50's & 60's. That's why I'm very skepticle about todays judgings. No one knows for sure................

Guest my3buicks

I'm sure things like this have always happened -that's why you judge to the standard, an item like this will probably/should/will/won't (take your pick) be fixed by the dealer. I know just from going over countless service bullitons of the 60's that there are lots of them correcting errors in production

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure things like this have always happened -that's why you judge to the standard, an item like this will probably/should/will/won't (take your pick) be fixed by the dealer. I know just from going over countless service bullitons of the 60's that there are lots of them correcting errors in production </div></div>

Keith, yes things like this have always happened, I remember seeing a '78 Skyhawk with a Chevy emblem on the tail end at the Buick Dealership in Owego, NY. I also know my brother's GMC or was it a Chevy had the wrong steering wheel, that's why we instituted the error proofing systems to tell the operator which part to put on. This is a new deal for DET-HAM as the Buicks they previously built had a real engine, the 3800 not a Cadillac engine so this is a learning experience for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you Roberta,.......and ask if we can get that replaced "under warranty"!! John </div></div>

I got a reply from the Quality Manager, today, and he said they were on it and appreciated the info, I would hope they would replace with absolutely no problem. If you want the Quality Manager's email please email me. Thanks!

I wouldn't mind if they would install "by error" the 300 HP version of the engine in the Lucerne!

By the way, my 67 Riviera came with the wrong speedo gear (for a 3.07 axle instead of the 3.42) from the factory! The speedo reading was very optimistic and the odometer shows more mileage than the actual mileage because of that!