Is this a McLaughlin Buick

West Peterson

Guest imported_Thriller

I happen to have a '29 McLaughlin Buick. At first glance, I think it could be. The dead giveaway would likely be the hub caps - mine say McLaughlin right on them. Also, the Buicks had the '29 Buick emblem on the radiator, but McL-Bs had them on the light tie bar. I can't think of any other differences off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are a few. There's a few photos at Derek's '29 Buick page. Also there is at least one thread (or maybe a couple) in the Me and My Buicks forum about my car.

A couple of sites to check out are Silver Anniversary Buick Club and Roland's 29-44 Buick Page. There is also 1929buick.com, but they don't seem to be up at this very moment.

If you have more detailed shots or information (series, etc.), I'd love to see it.

Guest imported_Thriller

Another note is that the McLaughlin's ought to have a Dole primer pump knob on the dash. There are some differences between early and late 1929s as well.

If this is about to become your car, I am definitely jealous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If this is about to become your car, I am definitely jealous. </div></div>

I would love to have something like this. I remember seeing a McLaughlin Buick roadster at the Buffalo National a few years ago and fell in love with it. I believe a distant relative of McLaughlin (with same last name) owned it at the time.

As editor of Antique Automobile, I am bombarded with "what make of car is in my photo" queries. If I would have looked in my Buick book more carefully, I would have found a photo of this car. I must have accidentally turned two pages as the same time and missed it the first time.

Thanks for everyone's help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There are some differences between early and late 1929s as well. </div></div>

According to Tad Burness' <span style="font-style: italic">Monstrous American Car Spotter's Guide 1920-1980</span> this car has the early 1929 hub caps (assuming they don't say "McLaughlin"). The late '29s had more complex/intricate caps with a black background.

• 3 years later...

I met Bill McLaughlin in July of 08 when on tour with the Buick Club Pre War Division. Great fellow with a very nice car. :) In fact, he took the photos of me and my tire tube repair in the swimming pool and he could not stop laughing all the time he was shooting. :D Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)