Studebaker geography test

Guest stude8

The question is where was this photo taken?

The attached photo was taken during a late 1933 promotional tour somewhere out East it is suspected. The race car shown is thought to be the 1933 Studebaker factory Indianapolis race car #9 car (Repainted in this photo) driven by Zeke Meyer at Indianapolis to 9th position finish in 1933. The passenger car is a then new 1934 Studebaker police or fire vehicle (it has a siren on the front) and may belong to the trooper in uniform.

Anyone know where the Midway Tavern was located? My thought was some where along US30 in Pennsylvania?

Stude8

post-31139-143137880169_thumb.jpg

There was an old local landmark of a restraunt/bar in Clinton, PA called the Midway Tavern which operated for generations. It's located just north-west of the intersection of U.S. 30 and Moon-Clinton Road on U.S. 30 (about 3 miles west from Greater Pittsburgh Intl. Airport).

I believe it'd moved or been rebuilt several times, but a building like the one pictured stood next to their last location when I was last there. It closed about 15 years ago, when it was operating out of a 1950's era structure. My old Triumph Club used to meet there on tours. They made a heck of steak salad! smile.gif

Dave, thanks for the lead. Just what I had hoped would come out with this post. I thought the building in the back ground with the steeple might be a church or town hall that could be a landmark that survives. I live near Chicago so I won't be able to check the Clinton, PA territory easily soon. Maybe next years trip to Hershey?

Attached is a photo of the 1933 Studebaker factory fleet with the #9 car on the left at the Speedway.

Stude8

post-31139-143137880173_thumb.jpg

West:

They made all they could out of the Studebaker Indianapolis events, here is another of the Kirkpatrick Photo's of one of the 1933 entries posed with the new Pierce Silver-Arrow body jobs. A lot of chips were riding on the advertising they got out of this event. They were struggling to come back from bankruptcy and had to sell anything they could build.

By the way the Kirkpatrick images are available from the Indianapolis Speedway Photo Archives from the original 8x10 negatives. Very good quality photos.

Stude8

post-31139-143137880181_thumb.jpg

West:

I just thought I would post the Pierce Silver Arrow rear end view from the Indy photo session. The car has a New York plate on it. Studebaker built a few "Land Cruisers" with the same body style, even on the President chassis I don't think they were as impressive as the Pierce. Very advanced for its age style wise. I think also the first car with concealed spare tire compartments. Stude8

post-31139-143137880189_thumb.jpg

Ahh. Now you're teasing me. It's interesting to see how they were obviously trying to illustrate the similarities of the sleek passenger car to the race car.

My desire for the Silver Arrow is strong, but it did wane a little bit when I first saw one in person. THEY ARE HUGE.

First with a concealed spare tire??? Hmmm. You enter thin ice whenever you mention "the first...." It's just like naming a book, "The Complete...." Have you EVER seen a book named "The Complete..." that was?

Stude8, GREAT Photos! Zeke Meyer lived in Philadelphia and was one of the truely great drivers in that area. I don't know if this 1935 Langhorne program is readable, but Zeke Meyer is listed as driving a C.B.Special with a # 43 in a 100 mile National Championship Race. That is one thing that always bothers me with old programs, you never know what powered the car.

post-31159-143137880195_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...
Guest arttidesco

Wondering if anyone knows why there are only 4 team cars in Stude8's team photo taken in front of the Pagoda, when the Studebaker advertisements that came out after the race tell of five cars they entered that were 85% stock Studebakers ?

Your answers maybe used in a forth coming blog and if used will be duly credited.

Thanking you in anticipation of your responses.

Regards

Art Tidesco

Bristol, UK

West:

I just thought I would post the Pierce Silver Arrow rear end view from the Indy photo session. The car has a New York plate on it. Studebaker built a few "Land Cruisers" with the same body style, even on the President chassis I don't think they were as impressive as the Pierce. Very advanced for its age style wise. I think also the first car with concealed spare tire compartments. Stude8

Don't know if they were the first with hidden spares, but they were located under panels directly behind the front wheels (for those who did not know).