Engine Numbers, Frame #s, Serial #s

imported_paldo38

So often I see posts from people trying to sort out the numbers scattered around on their Buicks. Look, people, Terry Dunham literally wrote the book about Buicks. On his website, at http://www.OldBuickArchive.com, you can see a table showing the location of those various numbers for all vintages of classic Buicks, along with other good information. And then if you want to know more about your particular heap, Terry will interpret those numbers for you -- it's part of his business at the Old Buick Archive. Check into it.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Question: Since I have been unable to locate the vehicle serial number (or at least one that matchess the TX title I got when I bought the car (1940 Buick Special/Street Rod) on eBay, does anyone know if the seller of those reproduction data plates has them for a 1940? And, how can I contact the seller? Thanks

1940 Buick Special

AACA #400535 J

• 1 month later...

Well had to resort to having the County Sheriff's Auto Theft folks try to find the serial number on the car that appears on the TX title. Didn't find that one, but did determine that the number on the frame (previously thought to be the number on the Firebid clip that was used to accomodate the Chevy V8) was in all probability the Buick ID number : 13837065 (first and last numbers really difficult to read). Does that number (13837065) correspond with the 1940 Buick Specials?

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Ray:

Did the number on the title happen to start with a 4,5, or 6? If it did, that's the reason you can't find it. Some states used the motor number as the VIN number. When the engine got switched to the Chevy V-8, it's "Bye-Bye" engine number!! My data indicates that the motor number should be in the range of 40224425 to 4049339. This will be preceded by a 4, 5, or 6 depending on if the car is a Special, Super, or Century.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Dave,

Yep the number shown on the TX title is 44036738. At the suggestion of the TX DMV, I've sent them the title and supporting documentation that reflects the number that's on the frame (13837065). Now I'm waiting for them to respond and hopefully issue a corrected title so I can get this car registered and one the road.

Ray

In California, if the car has been unregistered long enough that it is not in the DMV computer, you can take a bill of sale, certificate of non operation from the seller, and a letter saying that the paperwork was lost and register the car without all the other problems. They require that you bring the car for them to verify the vin number.

I suspect that if you have already contacted DMV and started to try to register the car, you are stuck fighting it through, but if you are just starting, this is a good way to begin.

I did have a problem where they would not accept the factory number screwed to the door frame on a 1950 Buick and could not find the serial number on the frame. They pop riveted a new number to the door frame.

Thanks Fred,

Sounds like things in CA are a bit easier than in FL. Am still waiting for the Certified Mail receipt from the TX DMV. When I get that, I'll send them another email to see what more I have to do and hopefully they can get this fixed.

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

Well, latest word from the TX DMV is that vehicles of that make and year model (1940 Buick)are titled by motor number in TX. Seems to me that's kinda dumb..motors get replaced and with that, there goes the idenitifcation of the vehicle.

• 1 month later...

Success at last! Finally was able to get the car registered in FL. Took two visitis from the County Sheriff's Office Vehicle Theft Unit to get the job done. Seems that FL, like TX, uses the engine number as the vehicle identification number for cars built in '55 or earlier so that's what is being used on this car.

Do sincerely thanks all those who provided information, hints and suggestions.

Ray

BCA#42576