1936 Packard Super 8 Question

pint4

Do the front fenders of 1936 Packard Super 8's fit all body styles? What about the running boards? If a person bought a car with these missing, how much of an effort would it be to locate these parts? How costly would it be to buy a decent set of sidemount fenders and running boards? Does anyone know of a convertible body for sale-2 door, 4 door, or Victoria Convertible?

Thanks.

Bob

email: pint4@new.rr.com

I would think the front fenders would be the same for all 1936 Super Eight models. Running boards would depend on if your chassis is long or short wheelbase. If you call enough Packard people around the county you should be able to round up these parts. You will not have good luck finding an open body, most stray ones of those have been put on the Twelve chassis long ago. Also remember, the convertible coupe & victoria were on the short wheelbase, while the convertible sedan was on the long wheel base. So you will be limited on body type per what wheelbase your chassis is.

Now that I think about it-I believe the car is a Super 8 and that would have a 139" wheelbase. I would imagine finding front fenders and running boards would be a challenge for either one-an Eight or a Super Eight. Challenges! They are never ending.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the front fenders of 1936 Packard Super 8's fit all body styles? What about the running boards? If a person bought a car with these missing, how much of an effort would it be to locate these parts? How costly would it be to buy a decent set of sidemount fenders and running boards? Does anyone know of a convertible body for sale-2 door, 4 door, or Victoria Convertible?

Thanks.

Bob

email: pint4@new.rr.com </div></div>

A good front clip for 41 super-8 with side mounts sold for $2000 recently on the packard club site. A earlier super 8 would probably run at least that, to double, if you have to buy it a piece at a time. I just sold a set (2) front side mount fenders bare for $1,000 and the buyer was real happy when he got them.

The last NOS running board I has for 38 sold for $450 for one side about 10 years ago, that about what a set of rubber runns in reproduction. But I believe there are still reproduction of the running rubber around, so all you need are raw running boards. Check the Packard Club new letter.

Good Luck on you project, Joe

I am confused but less so by the day. This whole wheelbase thing. The car is a 1401 so I visited the club website and have concluded the 36 Victoria Coupe is on a 134" wb and is an Eight rather than a Super Eight. If this is correct, then I need to look for a set of running boards and sidemount fenders for an Eight and I guess anything with a 134" wheelbase would work. Does that sound logical to this point? Now-would one say the 134" wb parts are rare birds? Are there parts for the Eight that one might include in the list of hard to find missing parts?

Packard fan with a big headache!

• 2 weeks later...

Should you actually find a convertible body, either conv coupe or victoria convertible I could help you out with top irons and bows. All '36s of the same wheelbase would have the same front fenders, runningboards and splash apron. Where are you located?

We can provide you with a complete reproduction set of irons, bows and latches for either the convertible coupe or the convertible victoria. Identical to original. 1935 and '36 are the same whether Standard 8, Super 8 or 12. The 120's are a different top altogether, we build those as well (in stainless). E-mail me at my personal address JandSinSCPA@aol and I'll give you my phone # if interested. Please put "Packard parts" in the subject line.