HELP New Accumulator Gone Bad?

tnheygirl

Hi All,

We replaced the accumulator/seals (whole unit) with a new one about 7 months ago and the crazy brake problems stopped, everything was great again. Now the brakes are back to doing the exact same thing. Could the accum. have gone bad again? This was a brand new accum?

My husband has been driving the 88 reatta and after approx 15-20 minutes the red light and the pressure light come on and he has to stand on the brakes to stop the car. They work fine for the first 15-20 minutes. It seems to happen after the car warms up same as last time.

Should we buy another accumulator??? mad.gif

Guest EDBS0

This is a bit off the walll...bbut have you flushed the fluid recently.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and in the hot weather and hot under the hood temperatures it might be boiling and not compress as much as it should. Flush now. But if you can't I suspect the next time this happens the pump will be running constantly trying to build pressure but it can't. It could also be the notorious brake relay on the firewall. Or the New Old Stock accumulator has lost its nitrogen charge. Time to do the brake test.

Guest Mike_s

FWIW: I bought a brake relay from NAPA but it had a tab for a mounting screw which the original relay did not and I could not get it to work with the Reatta's firewall relay mounting clip.

The ACDELCO relays (12088594) I purchased had a case similar to the original relays and attached to the firewall correctly, about $15.00 @ the ACDELCO store.

Mike

The Teves ABS system seems to be a good unit but it is complex.

At the Batavia meet, a 1990 convertible had a hard pedal, we had 12v to the pump but it was not running. We also discovered dampness (brake fluid) in the pressure switch connection. We must wait until the owner gets it fixed but I believe Jim Finn and myself feel that the pressure switch failed (in the on position) causing the pump to run continiously, and buring it up.

You could have a new accumulator, but if the pump is not working you will have a hard pedal.

pump the pedal with the ignition OFF. Then turn on the ignition, do not start the car and listen for the pump running. No pump running, check the voltage to the pump. If you have 12v then it is a bad pump, if no 12V then either a bad relay (you can switch relays on the firewall to test) or a bad pressure switch.

I've had enough. I can't take anymore!!! It's time to let go! I'm getting a vw Jetta!

Its going up for sale for $650.00!!!! Let me know if anyone is interested. It does have some great parts and new parts as well. No body damage but the inside is shot as far as leather. Also have the big repair manual which I'm obviously very bad at using. Located Memphis, TN Husband still drives to work everyday in it.

Guest MauiWowee

8/16/02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well we have decided its time. My husband is in his last year at UofM and we just don't have the time or money to keep my baby.

My husband says if anyone wants to trade my

Red 88 Buick Reatta..gulp..eyes watery

116,000 miles Tan leather interior, still runs, and service manual

for

a decent gas efficient car to get him to school and back (I get to drive his Jeep)

We will make a trade.

</div></div>

Deja Vue? cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">8/16/02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well we have decided its time. My husband is in his last year at UofM and we just don't have the time or money to keep my baby.

My husband says if anyone wants to trade my

Red 88 Buick Reatta..gulp..eyes watery

116,000 miles Tan leather interior, still runs, and service manual

for

a decent gas efficient car to get him to school and back (I get to drive his Jeep)

We will make a trade.

</div></div>

Deja Vue? cool.gif </div></div>

lol I know I know. I mean it this time! grin.gif I still love it and will never have a car like it again! You see that was back in 2002 and even with the trouble it kept on going. What a car. I must and will do it this time!

Guess I was not clear before. The TEVES is really two mostly independant systems, the boost system and the ABS system. If the boost system fails (red light on) it will turn the ABS off (yellow light on).

The EBCM affects the ABS system only (yellow light). The only computer involved in the boost system is the BCM (turns the red light on).

If the boost system fails, the EBCM will not store any codes because it is being turned off deliberately. (Note to read the EBCM codes you *must* jumper the ALDL and count the flashes of the yellow light. If it comes on steady there are no codes stored. Also the 88 jumpers A to G, 89 and 90 jumper A to H).

There are a number of components involved in the boost system, wiring, grounds, fuse, relay, pressure switch, and pump. Since it works when cold, I would be applying some jumpers and seing what happens. Problems like this are common is elements that pull serious current, I just had to clean the blower motor connector on my low milage & garaged 88, is more an age thing.

For something like this you might be better off with an electrician particularly one specializing in HVAC rather than a GP mechanic who may have never seen a Teves, electro-hydraulic systems are not common in cars.