'95 Riviera Supercharged Starting problem

Hawkin

The alternator is not putting out enough amperage to recharge your battery. have the alternator checked out, especially under load (air conditioning on/radio on/lights on).

Bryan Moran

BCA 28571

If it starts and runs briefly, it very likely sounds as if it is the oil level or oil pressure sensor. If they read a low level of oil, or low pressure, they will shut off the fuel pump.

You could find the sensors, disconnect the leads and see if it will start. If it does the same thing, you could jump the connections of one sensor at a time and see if it will start and run. If it does, and you are certain it has plenty of oil and good pressure, just replace the defective sensor.

If the fuel pump were the problem, I don't think it would start and run at all.

Joe

Building on Reatta Man's post, if you do find the oil low, watch for a bad gasket at the timing chain cover in the area of the oil pump. Mine blew out in the 70K range and didn't leak at an idle, but poured out at 1500 RPM. The local dealer claimed this was common on this vintage engine, although I never heard of it before.

JD

JD:

Had that happen to me a few years ago with my 95 supercharged Riv. Mileage was somewhere in the 70s. Engine leaked enough even at idle that I had it towed to the dealer for repair. More labor cost than parts.

IF you haven't already done so, DO add a fresh fuel filter to the system too!

IF the current filter is clogged somewhat, it can still seem to be fine but will "kill" the new pump and possibly harm the wiring in the sending unit too (if it's not a complete module). Pump works harder, wires get warmer, insulation melts somewhat = failed pump over time.

Plus try to not let the fuel level stay below about 1/4 tank if you can help it. The fuel surrounding the pump helps cool it plus the pump running "dry" is another "kill" contributor. When the "Low Fuel" light triggers, there's only like 2-3 gallons in the tank (sloshing around).

On most any late model GM port injection system, it takes a minimum fuel pressure to fire the injectors. If the pressure is not "there", even if it's only a few psi lower, it'll crank and crank and not start . . . until the pressure reaches the min spec pressure . . . if at all.

Glad you discovered the problem and got it fixed.

NTX5467