most gadget loaded cars?

Joe Werner

I've seen some pretty rediculous-looking 1957 Chevrolets with everything on them. That would be my vote. But then, if you think about the 1957-58 Cadillac Eldorado Broughams, they may be even more loaded, and practically everything was standard, right down to the Arpege perfume accoutrements and magnetized drink tumblers found in the rear compartment. You paid for it, though, as you could buy 5 or 6 Bel Air Chevies for the price of one Brougham. They don't look nearly as funny as a fully loaded Chev, though.

Guest Skyking

I always liked the 1956 Dodge Custom Royal that was introduced mid-year. It was called La Femme. It featured a lavender & white paint job & matching interior with gold flecks. Some of the unique gadgets that came standard were a matching umbrella, cap and purse hook......

Guest Albert

I have a friend that has a 56 la Femme even the interior is Pink including the steering wheel and dash.

GM 50's vehicles had a fair amount of options and accessories. I believe Chevy had a ashtray that was hooked to the engine vacuum that sucked the butt into a container. Pontiac in 1958 had a radio that you could take from the vehicle and use remotely. Of course Chrysler had the record player and a few upper end GM vehicles would put the top up if they sensed rain and some the windows (Cadillac) but most were prototypes. Handicap controls were an option on most however I have never seen a factory installed system.

My 55 Pontiac Star Chief Custom Catalina has 51 factory options and accessories out of a possible 62 for this model. Each model was different with the amount available, like a deluxe steering wheel was standard on some models but an option on others.

Some of the oddball ones on my 55 would be the Remington shaver, rear window defroster, Thermaster refrigerator, Thermaster thermos, ladies purse holder, magna-tray, compass, hand spotlight, outside spotlight, autronic eye, etc. I am still looking for an umbrella (4 types offered in 55) or the radiator insect screen. They also made a gigantic bug shield that bolted on the front bumpers that was hideous looking.

I must agree that the '57-'58 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham probably wins in the gadget category, but most U.S. manufacturers had some strong contenders. One that comes to mind is the '57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, which featured, among other items, the roof level air intakes and power operated rear window.

1957_mercury_tc_009.jpg

1957_mercury_tc_006.jpg

Notice also the interior instrument panel, which included the push button control for the transmission, an average speed "computer clock" which reported the car's average speed on a trip, and the non-round full vision steering wheel.

1957_mercury_tc_008.jpg

This was an altogether fantastic era for the U.S. car. Yes, I understand the comments we've all read about "chrome dinosaurs" and "wretched excess", but there's no doubt that the cars of the mid-to-late '50's are spectacular. Among my favorites is Buick's 1958 Limited.

buick_542-re.jpg

I whole heartily concur with your reference to the Turnpike Cruiser and the 58 Buick. Absolutely love both vehicles, in fact I veered over to a cruiser at the AACA Roanoke meet and told my wife I almost bought a convertible at Carlisle a few years back. She sort of looked at me disbelieving, little did she know how close it really was.

My friend had a 58 Buick, what a car. It was a one owner 35K original with the clear seat covers still on it. He bought it at Carlisle and that evening we took it on a long ride. Every little thing worked.

If it stood still long enough in the 50's they chromed it!

I completely agree with you, Centurion. Last night, I found out that the '58 Chevy Impala came with an optional air ride system that had been introduced in 1957 on the Cadillac Eldorado Brougham. I suspect it was also available on the big Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac, though I do not know that for certain. It was a period of intense mechanical contrivance that was way a head of its time. Certainly these things work now better as we understand the miniaturization of the computer chip, but it is wonderful to remember that the Eldorado Brougham had memory power seats, rain sensors and the like that were all basically mechanical in design. Amazing!!

And yes, God Bless all that wonderful Chrome!!!

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Absolutely love both vehicles, in fact I veered over to a cruiser at the AACA Roanoke meet and told my wife I almost bought a convertible at Carlisle a few years back. </div></div>

Ron, was this one of the spring Carlisle meets? I seen the same Merc Cruiser in the corral. I think it was pink & white. If I remember correctly, it was in very good condition for an easy restoration........I also drouled! If I wasn't restoring my Skylark then, I might have considered buying it myself. They are VERY desirable!!!!!!!

Skyking, It was at the spring meet a few years back but the cruiser I saw was a sort of yellow and white (I'm color-blind) and was at a vendors space. Missed the one you referred too. The price was around 10K and it was in decent shape needing a paint job and interior to freshen it up. Had all the do-dads as they say. Like you I was in the middle of a restoration and won't work on 2 vehicles at once since I still have a 50 hour plus a week job.

Chrysler's at Carlisle is this weekend and it is the first time in many years I will be home for this show. Haven't been to Carlisle this year yet even though it is only 15 minutes away.

Wife looked at me funny again when I told her I was going up to buy a roadrunner beep-beep horn for the Amphicar. Just imagine if I bring the rest of the car home. But honey. ooo.gif

Randall, Cadillac has always been at the top of the list for the most gadgets with many of theirs being standard equipment. They were one of the first to offer heated seats to the masses. An acquaintance bought a new Rolls Royce and it is loaded with gadgets. Full length umbrellas in the doors, doors that close automatically, mascot that disappears into the hood, etc. Then for 364K it should.

West, the Rolls definitely lacks in the looks department though comfortable. The Rolls mentioned has 2 batteries and according to the owners manual the vehicle can not sit any longer then 7 to 9 days before they are drained. I am also told after 2 ½ minutes they automatically lock the doors as this happened with someone inside who could not get out. The owner with the keys was supposed to be inside a building for a few minutes but took longer.

My friend stated having taken his bosses new Rolls to the dealer because a idiot light would not go out, as fuse #28 was having problems (early production cars only) they covered it with black electrical tape.