Add on A/C

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

I am wondering it anyone has ever added on period correct flood mounted A/C to a car. I am thinking about putting a used unit it my 58 if I can find one. Probably not a lot of units that old around but in the 60's they were fairly popular. Look easier to install than new units and might be cheaper to buy but maybe dont work as good as new ones. Just curious about it. thanks

One concern to think about would be the availability of spare parts if you find an older unit. If you go with Vintage Air or some other new aftermarket unit, you will not have nearly as many problems with parts.

And, with a new unit you will be able to use R-134a in a system designed for it rather than trying to convert an R-12 unit, or find R-12 in your area. And, don't forget--you will be needing a higher capacity radiator and cooling fan, possibly to include a fan shroud.

Here's a link to a company that will sell you a complete unit for $700:

http://autoairplus.com/Ford%20Mustang%20AA200M%20AC%20Kit.htm

Here's the link for the Vintage Air kit for late '50s Chevies that would probably fit a Buick:

http://207.178.203.140/vintcatfull/37.pdf

Lake City Rod and Custom in Watertown, SD looks to be the nearest dealer to you.

There are lots of complete new units for sale on ebay that may work for your car.

Good luck.

Joe

Guest sintid58

I found a couple sites and you can add an underdash unit for around 750 for the parts. I would think that would be the easiest type to add and most of the work I could do myself. Everything is for Chuvy's not Buicks so I imagine I would have to fabricate the pump mounting. If you can get one for what I saw around 750 to 900 new it wouldnt be worth messing with an old one if I could install most of it myself.

Sid, please make certain that you speak to others who are utilizing the exact same unit that you consider installing. You will want to hear a definitive answer that the system is capable of cooling a car having as much interior volume and glass as your '58 Buick.

Sid, I've shared before on the forum that I had a Vintage Air unit professionally installed in my '59 prior to the trip to Flint. My wife was concerned about heat and humidity, and it was important to me that the trip be as pleasant as possible. The system was tastefully installed in order to conceal its presence to the extent possible.

I almost immediately regretted the decision to install the aftermarket A/C.

The behind-the-dash area of the '59 -- and, most likely, other model years -- is tightly restricted. Vintage Air's "supercooler" unit was too large to fit. (There is actually more room behind the dash on many of the earlier cars from the 30's and 40's.) The unit that was installed does not, quite frankly, have the capacity to adequately cool a car having the interior volume and glass area of the '59 Buick. The unit is probably adequate and better suited to many hot rods, like '32 Ford coupes, that have much smaller interiors.

To say that I was disappointed is an understatement. Not only did the system not work as expected, but I regret sacrificing some of the car's originality. At this point, I am weighing whether to invest further in the system to see whether it can do the job. Unless I become confident that the system can really cool the car, my preference is to remove it and replace the original heater box. This would also allow me to re-mount the original tissue dispenser that was removed to accommodate the system.

Sid, I'm certain that others have had more positive experiences with aftermarket A/C systems, but I want to urge you to proceed with caution. I hope that your solution is more satisfactory than mine has been.

Guest sintid58

I remember both of you comments. Joe I know you really liked the unit in the truck but I was looking at them and they don't look like they offer that as a complete unit. The one I saw looked like it was $475 just for the trunk unit then more for all the other peices. I also am wondering how well the unit works for the rear seat passengers if the people in the front are comfortable. And as you say it takes a lot of room. I also remember Your coments about your unit Centurion. That is one reason I am thinking about saying to heck with hiding the unit and just putting in one that hangs from the dash or mounts right to the floor of the car. It would look somewhat like was an add on from the early to mid 60's and hopefully will be large enough to cool the car. I primariy use the car for BDE tours but that is not going to happen again until I put in a/c and we have more or less decided that rather than buy anything else we would just like to get the 58 fixed up to drive to all kinds of events and I would like to do the majority of the work myself. The first two things on the agenda are seat belts and A/C. I will look into and am thinking of a winter project for me and Robert. but wanted to get as much info as I could before I start.

Sid,

I have a period correct underdash unit ( I think it was made by A.R.A. in Fort Worth in the 50's) that I had rebuilt by Classic Air in Fla. "Supposedly" all you need in addition would be a compressor. The guy I bought it from recommended using one of the new hot rod style compressors, but the original should work, too. I decided to add the original a/c to my car so I didn't end up using it. Private mail me if you think this would be good for you.

Mike

I have, or maybe I should say had, an aftermarket (not Vintage Air) A/C unit in my 47 4 door.

During this last engine rebuild I pulled it out because it could not keep up in the Texas heat. We are now back to the 460 Air conditioning now (4 windows open, 60 mph).

Spend 5 dollars and order the Vintage Air catalog, it is worth the money for the education it will give you in trying to put A/C in an old car.

Seatbelts, check out Juliano's Hot Rod Shop. They have nice stuff.

All of you have some great points to make about aftermarket air. I'm wondering if all of you went back to the installer for a fix when you were not satisfied. If I had spent nearly $1,000 for A/C and was not happy, I would be camped on that guy's doorstep until it worked to my satisfaction.

I'm also wondering if anyone had to make changes under the hood. My guess would be that the factory training may not be followed up, meaning some shops are taught how to install the unit, but not taught how to make sure it works the way it should. That means they can install it, charge up the system, and measure the temperature of the air and the freon pressure, but that does NOT mean it will cool the car the way it should.

If not, I would suggest this in order to see if your unit started working well. This includes going from the stock 4-blade metal fan to a 5, 6 or even 8-blade fan on a fluid fan clutch, fitted inside a fan shroud. I remember a friend had to do this on a '66 Mustang when mounting one of those hang-on a/c units.

The stock fan kept the radiator cool, but was virtually useless in keeping the a/c unit working properly. The front condenser needs a LOT of airflow, especially in hot weather and when stopped such as at a red light. The stock metal fan will never come close to providing enough air flow, even in South Dakota.

Go to the Web site www.aircondition.com and go to the forums. There are a lot of professional a/c guys that do nothing but auto and truck a/c. One of the guys is from Phoenix (HOT!) and one is from Mexico (HOTTER!) and they are great with technical questions.

Joe

Guest sintid58

I am aware of the air flow problems and I was thinking of adding an elecrtric radiator fan. I know a lot of you don't like them but they can work very well and the car won't be a candidate for showing if I ad air anyway. I figured I would put in the auto switched and also a toggle under the dash so when we were in heavy traffic or a parade during hot weather it could be kept on all the time. This should also do away with the need for a shroud. My car has a 3 or 4 core radiator and when we came through Chicago a few years ago we were stuck in traffic when the temp was over 110 and it never even got warm. I put in a new larger radiator when I bought the car because the old one was shot so I went with added capacity . I will have to look but I think I put a 4 colre in it if it was avaiable.

I installed factory A/C from in my 67 Riviera a few years ago (from an identical parts car) and I am very pleased with it. I had to replace a few parts that weren't good on the parts car and had it converted to R-134.

Of course, finding a 58 parts car with factory A/C and finding the parts to repair it is certainly more challenging than it is on a 67 but it's nice to have the factory setup. Factory A/C also includes things such as H.D. cooling and fuel return lines on some cars which help taking the extra load of the A/C system without overheating. In my opinion, it also looks better under the hood and inside the car.

See attachment for a "before" picture of my car

After: (it would still need some detailing...)

689667_Riviera_GS_2.jpg

Guest my3buicks

What all would work from a 57 factory ari set-up, I may be able to dig up a complete factory 57 air set-up

Guest sintid58

I think most of it would be the same, but I am no expert. I am sure the compressor brackets will fit and if I remember right the vents on the dash are realy close but as far as the unit itself not real sure.The problem with factory air would be I am very capable of just bolting something on, but when it comes to start cutting holes in the dash and running lots of cables and vacum lines and the cosmetic things I am not real good at that so I would have to hire it done so it would get much more expensive. I wouldn't mind finding a compressor bracket for my car. I would think it would be much easier to modify a bracket than to building one.