ok, i need some help.

Chris Jones

ok, remeber my stalling problem i had before? everyone said it was the Crank Angle Sensor. well it happend again, after I replaced the sensor.

its at the mechanics right now, as it has ben for the past 2 weeks, we finally found the problem, and its the 9Plug harness that goes to the coil packs. now we have orderd 2 seperate harnesses from 2 seperate junkyards from 2 spereate 1990 3800 engines. and both where 16plug harnesses.

now this confuses me and my mechanic, is it possible that the reatta has a different harness than other 1990 3800's? or is it possible that when the previous owner had the coil packs replaced that they had it replaced from a series II 3800? i dont know and i need some serious help here guys, ive ben out a car for 2 weeks and i need to know what the hell i need to get.

im so fustrated.

any help would be apperciated. and if any of you may have that wireing harness......LET ME KNOW!!! I WILL BUY IT!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

Consider this...

We have used newer Delco coil packs in our '89 and '90 Reattas. The benchmark we told the junkyard was a '95 Park Avenue. Those coil packs connect to the Reatta harness without any trouble at all.

I hope that helps a little

Guest F14CRAZY

That same Delco coil pack (from the '95 Park Avenue) has still been used in recent history, so I would think that the series II 3800s have the same connector as the Reattas do.

Guest F14CRAZY

And one more thing...

From my understanding, the old 3800, the TPI, and the series II have the same connector.

All 3800s ("C", "L", "L-67") I have seen use the same connector (early single ring harness used a connector that looks almost the same but is keyed in reverse). Have never seen a nine pin ICM connector.

One connection is used on other cars (the tach lead) and not used on the Reatta because it develops that signal in the ECM.

Have seen two different harnesses: one has the complete engine on one and the secod has a stu harness for the crank sensor, cam sensor, and ICM that plugs into the main harness. The connectors are the same for both.

ok well one minuet after i posted this i called my buddy George that introduced me to this forum, and he took time out of what he was doing to check both his 1990 and 1991 for the connector i was speaking of, it turns out either i got one of the last 1990's built and got the 1991 coil packs, or when they where replaced they replaced them with a 1991, because the coil packs are the removable ones from a 1991, and not the 1990 (1990 has a 16 pin connector and the 1991 has a 10)

thanks for all the help im pretty sure ill be able to find the right part now that i have the right year laugh.gif

wow, ya'll know out of every single 3800 engine in the junk yard, the coilpacks and the harness where gone frown.gif

I contacted that man Nic, left a message on his machine maybe he will have one for me cheap.

if not some junkyard some where will have it. laugh.gif

and again George, if you see this thanks alot for your time today man. smile.gif

That does sound odd. The book for a '90 shows a (14) cavity connector with (13) being used. I checked it against my car and it looks just like the book? Something like (6) are used for the cam and crank sensors, a couple more for the timing signals from the ECM, others are power and ground, a signal to the injectors etc. Maybe some of the connections were displaced from the ICM to a separate connector, such as some of the common connections used for the cam and crank sensors? It would be interesting to see how they are different if the ECM operates the same as all other'90's.

no luck today, i posted a ad in the FS section here. Mr. Finn never called me back or e-mailed me frown.gif

so why does mine and Georges have a 9 wire connector? my mechanic swares its a different plug because its a reatta (which im almost positive inst true because the 3800's for the reatta came right off the same line as the 3800's for a park ave, or a grand prix, or a rivearra)

this is starting to make me mad.

Something is not right here, all Reattas should have the same connector. Maybe we are not talking about the same connector. I am attaching a picture of the 1990 stub harness with connections labeled.

Quote---

"no luck today, i posted a ad in the FS section here. Mr. Finn never called me back or e-mailed me"

The message on my answering machine was Tuesday night at about 5:30 PM and the post saying I never called back or emailed was at 2:51 PM the next day. I didn't realize I was supposed to drop everything I was doing and be available every moment for parts.

I was away from home from early Tuesday until last night.

I went out and checked several ignition modules on my shelf and every one of them has a 14 pin connector and 12 wires are used, 6 on either side of the stud.

I rarely post prices here but I do have the connector for $ 19 and that includes Priority Mail shipping.

I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com