Chrome

'53 Windsor

Hey everyone,

I was wondering: what's the best way to clean the crust (oxidation?) off of chrome? I tried the regular chrome cleaner/polish, but it didn't do much. It shined the good chrome, but not the crusty stuff. Then I tried fine steel wool (on a tiny, unnoticable spot), and it seemed to work pretty well. Is this safe? Will it leave noticable scratches? Is there a better way?

Thanks for your help.

-Tom

I hate chrome. All the ss on my 41 is near-perfect, the chrome work is awful.

Steel wool scratches and lets in more oxy, which makes more rust.

No one wants that.

I use WD-40 applied liberally then wipe off residue w/a cotton cloth after a couple of hours. Get a fine (white) Scotchbrite pad ($1.05 at the auto body place) and spay a corner of it with WD-40 then start cleaning.

Works.

I am going to try this on the 1990 Ford Ranger truck that Bill is fixing up for our grandson Kit. It had been Bill's daughter's truck so "Grandpa" is fixing it up for Kit as his first vehicle.

Sad to say the truck had been let go due to his daughter having next to no money. frown.gif So there is lots of work to do to get it ready. What the heck, Bill needed ANOTHER project. crazy.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steel wool scratches and lets in more oxy, which makes more rust.

No one wants that</div></div>

Not true if you use the correct tool for the job. As an auto restorer, I use ONLY #000 or #OOOO steel wool (it is made for this purpose). I does not scratch the chrome and polishes up aluminum nicely. If your steel wool scratches, then you used too coarse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try using SOS steel wool soap pads with water.

</div></div>

DO NOT USE SOS!!!!! They will scratch the chrome, guaranteed. They are not fine enough not to do serious damage to your chrome. It will leave deep scratches rather than just removing surface defects.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steel wool scratches and lets in more oxy, which makes more rust.

No one wants that</div></div>

Not true if you use the correct tool for the job. As an auto restorer, I use ONLY #000 or #OOOO steel wool (it is made for this purpose). It does not scratch...If your steel wool scratches, then you used too coarse. </div></div>

Very true and what I have because #0000 steel wool is also good for finishing wood. Apply (boiled or not) linseed oil then finish with steel wool ...which is operated by elbow grease.

Curious.... Tell me more about using foil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...the correct tool for the job. As an auto restorer...</div></div>

Ok, I need to pick your brain because you *are* an auto restorer.

My Merc has trumpet horns that're brass but have been chromed. Best thing I can say about them is they are loud, they look like ... well, they look bad.

So I got after them with coarse Scotchbrite and WD, got the patina off but then I got this idea to take off *ALL* the chrome and clear-coat them.

How?

yeah yeah...It's not stock. Neither is the rest of the stuff under the hood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I need to pick your brain because you *are* an auto restorer.

My Merc has trumpet horns that're brass but have been chromed. Best thing I can say about them is they are loud, they look like ... well, they look bad.

So I got after them with coarse Scotchbrite and WD, got the patina off but then I got this idea to take off *ALL* the chrome and clear-coat them.

How?

yeah yeah...It's not stock. Neither is the rest of the stuff under the hood. </div></div>

To remove the chrome, the nickel and copper plating that is probably there, you gonna need lots of ambition! I would take them to a plating shop and have them remove it. The chrome and nickel can be chemically removed. The copper has to be mechanically removed. It won't be cheap. Not terribly expensive, but it could be more than new after-market horns.

well then...

"Expensive" is this word I didn't want to hear so back on the Merc they go.

After a good cleaning with 0000 steel wool, that is.... oh no....This means I have to employ that other word you used, "ambition," and I am just about out of that...*g*

Thankee, sir, for the good advice. Horns are now on the 5-Yr Project Plan....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well then...

<SNIP>....This means I have to employ that other word you used, "ambition," and I am just about out of that...*g*

Thankee, sir, for the good advice. Horns are now on the 5-Yr Project Plan.... </div></div>

You're very welcome! At least the horns are on "The List"! wink.gif If only they had ambition in a pill! Some days I've got it in spades and then other daze.... smirk.gif

John Bevins