1956 Buick Special air filter

zla79

Hi guys

I bought a 56 Buick Special 2 door hardtop a couple of months ago. I've only been able to start messing around with it in the past week or so. I'm trying figure out how to get the darn air filter out of the airbox to replace it. Another question I have is about the base plate of the air box (the part of the airbox physically connected to the carb). Looking down into the base plate, there's oil, about a 1/2 inch thick going completely around the bottom of base plate. So, when the air filter goes onto the base plate, no air gets to the engine. I'm really confused because I don't see why oil would be in there in the first place, unless it is to act as a pre-emptive air filter. Thanks a bunch! I'll probably be asking a ton of questions this summer.

Levi

Guest imported_JPIndusi

I cannot recall for sure but I believe that model has an air cleaner that is held on by a wingnut at the top. The wingnut is threaded onto a threaded steel rod that screws into the carburetor top. Another version may have the wingnut on the side attached to a rod that tightened a clamp around the carburetor air horn.

These were serviced by washing the filter element, the top part, in a solvent and letting it dry. The oil was cleaned out of the lower part and replenished with clean oil, usually 50 weight, to the proper level. Be careful to not overfill the oil as you will choke off air to the engine.

These were called oil bath air cleaners. The theory of operation was that the air entering had to make a sharp turn at the bottom of the lower part by turning abruptly up and into the filter. Particles in the air could not make the turn because of their heavier mass and they crashed into the oil bath and then sunk to the bottom, never entering the carburetor.

Be careful not to overtighten the wing nut because you can distort the carburetor body, which is not steel but an alloy.

Looks like a nice car, good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

In the pickups and tractors that we had with oil bath air cleaners, we usually just used regular motor oil (30W) in them. As mentioned, oil level is critical. You'll probably have to scoop the "dirt" out of the bottom part of the air cleaner. Be sure to dispose of the oil and "dirt" properly too!

In addition to the "quick turn" strategy, the filter element area would also have oil in it too, typically. Which would most probably also catch some of the smaller dust/dirt particles that made the turn in air flow.

Used to be that kerosene or Varsol was the desired cleaning solvent. Usually soaking it a little to loosen the captured dirt/dust.

The oil baths can be messy to deal with, but were listed as "heavy duty oil bath" options on many light and heavier-duty truck models--even after paper elements had already become "the norm" in cars of the earlier '60s.

Some models even had support brackets that helped stabilize them to the engine. Like the dual 4bbl air cleaners had back then (the oil bath versions).

Enjoy!

NTX5467

JP is on to it. The air actually passes through the oil and that's how the dirt gets trapped. Unless the mesh inside the top half of the filter looks caked up with oil, I would just dump the lower bath part, wipe it out to get the trapped dirt, and then fill it to the line indicated on the bath part with fresh 50 wt oil then drive away. Service again in 5,000 miles

Of more importance on these will be the two oil filler cups on the generator and the one on the distributor. Both of these take 10 w engine oil.

Guys,

I've enjoyed my '56 Special for over 18 years and, every Spring, give her a fresh "drink" of 50W oil in the air cleaner.

It's not a problem at all. Just dump the old oil out, clean out the interior of the air cleaner with paper towels, then add 50W oil up to the "fill" line.

Even for a non-mechanic type like myself, this is a no-brainer!!

The 322 under the hood of my Special just keeps us happy, so don't get your shorts too tight over that air cleaner. It's a simple deal.

Keep cruisin',

Bob Leets grin.gif

Flint, MI

Guest imported_Thriller

I like this discussion even though mine is in storage and would be sold if someone offered me enough...although paying for storage makes it a liability. Anyway, I thought I'd add very little to the conversation, but a picture is worth 1000 words, right?

56special_engine.jpg