beware : stockton wheels

pphil

On 2/17/05 i called stockton wheels and inquired about them building me a new set of buick rally rims.They said it would be no problem as i quote "thats what i do i build wheels".they took my information told me it would take around eight

weeks.nine weeks later i called them to ask about my order,i was told that they haven't been able to find a set of 64 rims to rechrome.I thought that i was getting a new set built,they said no a rebuilt set.I finally asked for a refund

(as i had to prepay for the rims)they said fine,mailed me a refund invoice on 4/20/05 it is now 5/18/05 and i still have not recieved refund.

scott 1964 wildcat

425 2-4bbls 4-speed

ps: my invoice from them dated 2-17-05 sayes quote

wheel fabrication

build 15x6 buick rally w/3.5"

b/s chrome

mad.gif

Man that stinks. I have a set of '66 wheels I think would work- the only problem is removing the centering ring. I hope you get your money back! I saw your car @ Bowling green a couple of years ago, are you going that way this week?

I could fix you up with those wheels @ the GS show.

I used Rallyamerica.com a couple years ago for chroming the '65 wheels. They were a bit slow but Gary knows Buick wheels and it was about 125/ wheel + shipping.

Ted

Getting Buick rallye wheels is getting more difficult all the time. There is a four-page thread on this subject on another website.

I ordered new rallyes by Wheel Vintiques through Summit Racing last winter. Took over four months to get them. When I spoke with Wheel Vintiques they said that their source for Buick wheel centers was having problems making them. There was no guarantee that they would be available in the future.

With only one manufacturer making new Buick rallyes, and that company not certain they will continue, my advice is to buy now, from whatever seller has some in stock.

"Wheel fabrication" does not necessarily mean "all new" parts--it means just what it says . . . "fabrication". IF their sales lit and other dialogue states "all new parts", that would be a different situation. Yet, being an aftermarket vendor of alleged repute, it might be reasonable to consider the wheels "all new" unless otherwise stated. That might be a "new question" to ask in buying repro wheels, plus the famous "radial tire" question.

The comment about their supplier for the wheel centers having problems might be a red flag and also make existing wheels more valuable. I guess that "tight money", "just in time delivery", and other manufacturing orientations of modern times would mean that there is no residual inventory of the Buick wheels you desire, in the repro side of things. What about the more popular 15x7 wheels?

If you haven't received the refund check, you might contact their accounting department (i.e., Accounts Payable) and verify that they have a check number for the refund and the time frame you were told it would happen in. In some cases, it would seem that using credit cards for these transactions would be cleaner and easier, plus having the credit card company to be on your side too. LOTS of tracking and reference numbers would be generated too--i.e., "paper trail".

Hope things work out . . .

NTX5467

I called them and asked if they could build me a set.

they told me that they could build them.what kills me

is they waited 9 weeks and never told me that they couldn't

they could of at least called and told me.i have called them

and asked for a refund,they sent me a letter saying my credit

card was credited for the charge.2 weeks later i called them

again because my card was not credited.they said the girl in

the backmust have made a mistake.1 week later still no credit

so i turned it over to the credit card company.the sad part is

i have a set of 64 rims that need rechromed now i get to start

shopping around again.

scott

1964 wildcat 425 2-4bbls 4-speed

Thanks for the additional information and updates. Doesn't sound very good at all, from the customer service side of things.

Might have been a case of somebody saying they can do something and then finding out it's more difficult to make happen or takes longer than originally suspected. Perhaps they should have looked around for the items they needed before accepting the "build" order and payment.

I know that many times we can't necessarily orchestrate our projects around car events which have a manufacturer's midway, but in the end, that might be advisable sometimes. If you see it there and can talk to a rep that is knowledgeable about what they are selling AND the vehicle you have, then that might be the best time to energize the plastic. OR shop the items you are planning to use and then find out who's the best to deal with (after talking to the reps at the car events). Might end up that only a few manufactuers are building the inventory that other vendors sell, which can also affect turn-around times for things they might not normally have in stock.

There seem to be many vendors in our area of the hobby that have been around "for ages" and apparently have a good reputation in the hobby and business, but sometimes things go wrong in the customer service area (for one reason or another). I suspect that as the credit card company is now involved, the refund can be forthcoming.

Hope it all works out,

NTX5467

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...