NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH

89REATTAJIM

My 1st post. Bought '89 white/red coupe in Nov '04. Just experienced first major problem. Got stuck 1,300 miles away from home w/bad n/s switch. Buick dealer ran jumper to starter so I can drive. Is switch where I think it is (at end of shift cable under master cylinder)?? Any hints on repair/replace?

This forum has been a great help.

Are you sure it is Bad? It may just be out of adjustment.

It is pretty easy to change. Adjustment can be a little touchy.

But since this car is New to you or the former owner mostly likely cleaned the engine and got water in the switch.

The Switch get water in it and the contact corriode.

I have taken these apart cleaned,relubed and resealed these.

Guest F14CRAZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tks for verifying the "PITA". Was pretty sure it was one. Anyone have any hints to access the switch other than cutting everything out of the way with a recip saw?? How about it F14? This could boost you up on the "expert" list. </div></div>

Try acytelene.

Not THAT long ago I had to get a motor/tranny subframe out of the parts Rivi. My dad said I could sawzall the front corner of the car off if I needed to (I didn't need to). Brought my 18V Firestorm in case though tongue.gif

Not sure about the safety switch though. I haven't had to deal with one yet. Probably a task I'll have to do next week, at this rate.

I posted some time ago about a 'non-start' situation occasionally when the '90 Reatta was hot. Is it possible the problem is also the neutral safety switch? It is not a BIG issue unless I'm holding other folks up at the gas pumps shocked.gif

ThanksMuch

Chris of the JamesGang

MargaReattaVille

Just finished repair 10 mins ago. Turned out to be the neutral switch relay. Not quite the PITA as the switch, but found it under the dash kinda above the emergency brake release. Helps to be a contortionist. Thanks to all who replied, really appreciate help.