ATF in the differential?

Guest NikeAjax

Guest imported_NikeAjax

I have a ?56 Century and what I suspect is happening is this: the inner torque ball is bad and is allowing the ATF the run through the torque tube and fill the differential with ATF. The overflow on the axel is dripping, with a thinner oil than the hypoid oil that should come out of it. Also, when I removed the plug, I heard a whooshing sound; under a slight pressure maybe? I was wondering many times where the ATF was going?!?!?! Has this happened to anyone else?

Jaybird

While it has not happened to me, I have read several times that this is something to watch for when the torque ball seal is bad. I would work to remedy the problem as quickly as possible, since the ATF is said to ruin the differential gears. Make certain that the differential is completely drained and re-filled with the correct gear oil.

Guest imported_MrEarl

You can drill a small hole in the low end of the torque tube at the rear end that will allow an inspection to see if there is indeed ATF in the tube. Screw a small screw in it that can be removed and replaced ever so often for inspection.

Sounds like the seal at the front of the torque and the pinon seal is leaking.

I also recommend drilling a hole in the torque tube to check/drain fluid. If your pinion seal is good the torque tube will fill with trans fluid and it will get inside the driveshaft and give bad vibration problems.

The part about trans fluid ruining rear ends is probably sometimes true, but personal experience is different.

My origianl 55 Special routinely filled the rear with trans fluid to the point of leaking out of the axel seals and contaminating the brakes...usually washed the brakes with gasoline and removed the fill plug to drain it back to a normal level. If I had time and money I would pull the bottom cover bolt, drain the whole thing and refill with cheap hypoid 90 that did not have the recommended wear inhibitors. Anyhow that rear went about 250,000 miles (car croaked at 374,000 mi) with various dilutions of trans fluid in the rear. I pulled ther rear end a few years ago and rebuilt it...other than a few pits in one of the pinion bearing and an axel bearing there was no abnormal wear. I just cleaned it, replaced the bearings and pinion seal...it is now happy in my CVT.

Willie

Guest imported_NikeAjax

Does anyone know where I can find the inner and outer torque ball kit? I ordered one but I only got the outer one and was stuck so I had to put the thing back together with a faked inner seal.

Thanks,

Jaybird

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can drill a small hole in the low end of the torque tube at the rear end that will allow an inspection to see if there is indeed ATF in the tube. Screw a small screw in it that can be removed and replaced ever so often for inspection. </div></div>

My '60 has a rubber plugged port in the tube for a grease fitting on the shaft, so I make this inspection annually without having to drill. Is this port not on the '56?