Turn Signal Lights Won't Go Out... but there's more!

Gary2

The car is a 1990. I turned off the fan, lights and the engine and started to walk away from the car tonight. I realized the back lights were still on. I got back into the car, started the engine and went through the same procedure as before, but the results were the same. I turned the key past accessories and then pulled the turn signal post down, the light went out on one side. I pushed the bar up and the other side went out. When I returned the post to the centered position, both lights were on. I opened the hood, opened the Relay Box and loosened one post of the battery. When the contact left the battery, the lights went out. It appears the "clicking" sound is coming from below the relay box. Not having any written methods (so far), I removed each of the relay units one at a time to see it they might be failing. Once I removed all the relays, the problem continued. I placed my hand on the empty relay box and still felt the "clicking" from possibly a relay below(?).

Could someone direct me to the correct placement of this elusive relay. Am I on the right track? I am guessing a relay isn't releasing and that is what is keeping the lights on. Once the battery is disconnected, the power leaves the relay and the switch is open (or in the off position). This possibly is a relay which has been in the car from the manufacturer.

Sorry to be long winded, but I wanted you to have the whole process.

Thank you for your advise and guidence in advance.

All the best,

Gary

To analize your problem via long distance, we need more detail.

The subject line says "Turn Signal Lights", then in the body of the message it says "back lights", I think I follow the exercise with the turn lever.

When this happens...do the front and rear light both stay on or just the rear (or just the front) because of relays and the nature of the Reatta wiring, this is critical.

Gary, I'm trying to understand what you are saying. You are talking about the tail lights, not the back-up lights, right? If you are taking about the tail lights, are all the lights on across the whole tail light unit, or is it just the three lights on each end? If it is just the three lights on each end, I would would guess that the problem is something defective in the brake light circuit or turn signal circuit. My first thought was the brake light switch, but I just went out to my car, with key off, stepped on the brake and moved the turn signal lever, and the lights stayed on. I do know that some cars, at least older ones, when you stepped on the brake with the key off, but moving the turn signal lever, the light would go out.

The back lights on each side of the rear of the car remain on only and they appear to be the turn signals. When I push the post down,the left light goes out and the right light remains on. When I go past "neutral" position and push the post up, the right light goes out and the left light stays on.

I did this a few times. I then loosened the battery cable and disconnected the power to the car. The back lights went off and on. As this happened, there was a sound of a relay "clicking" below the relay box. After doing this for several times, the back light went out.

That's where we are so far. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to ascertain what I should do next. Thank you again for your help.

All the best,

Gary

Mr. Eaton,

The back lights on each side of the rear of the car remain on only and they appear to be the turn signals. When I push the post down,the left light goes out and the right light remains on. When I go past "neutral" position and push the post up, the right light goes out and the left light stays on.

I did this a few times. I then loosened the battery cable and disconnected the power to the car. The back lights went off and on. As this happened, there was a sound of a relay "clicking" below the relay box. After doing this for several times, the back light went out.

That's where we are so far. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to ascertain what I should do next. Thank you again for your help.

All the best,

Gary

Mr. Yarnell,

I did press the brak pedal down by hand, but the lights remained on. Where would I locate the "brake switch" please? Is it near to the area where I can not only hear a relay switching off and on or is it located somewhere else. Thank you for your time.

Gary

Gary, I don't think the noise you are hearing has anything to do with your problem. There are a number of relays that click when power is appiled to them, as least on my 89. My gut feeling about your problem is the brake light switch.

Thank you for your assistance. I pulled too at the time and the lights didn't go out until after disconnecting the battery lead. The lights are out. I follwoed your information and opened the fuse area on the passenger side. The follwoing are the fuses which are in this are: 2,3,5,7,8, and relay #: E,C,B,F,H,J.

In short, there is no #6 fuse to remove. What do I check now? Thank you in advance for your help.

Gary

Howard,

What is the easiest method of locating the switch please? I have been informed it is under the beauty panel which covers the steering column. Would simple tools work to unmask its appearance? Also, what does it look like? Are there numbers I would look for or a particular shape? Any clues would help, oh Sherlock of Reattas!

Thank you,

Gary

I unscrewed the black panel to view the area were the brake pedal shaft is in view. I see an electronic unit which has two connections attached to it. The piece is a milky white colored plastic, approximately three plus inches (approx.) long. It is square cut and approx. one half plus inches wide. The unit has on one end a threaded portion which appears to be pushed into a hole of a one quarter inch. This appears to be facing where the pedal rises and touches. Did I locate the brake pedal switch? How do I remove it without breaking it? Can I purchase a replacement at Auto Zone, Kragen or is it a Dealer only part? Thanks again.

Gary

#6 fuse is in the LEFT hand side fuse panel, access thru pop off panel on side of consol near accelerator pedal.

I THINK the device you describe is the brake switch (Been awhile since I've been in there). I think there may be more than one switch (one's for the cruise dump), but I think the milky one's the one your after. As for adjustment, I think you can just grab the switch and push it in or out to adjust; the threaded mount isn't that secure. I think. Don't quote me.

To Barney, Howard and Harry (to all who are out there):

It's 11:27 here and the brake lights are out! I removed the brake switch which is pushed into place just in front of the brake pedal. The part is located behind the black cover just above the pedal. Two screws and the unit drops down to give you a full view. I carefully pulled the two connections out (one is smaller and blue in color, the other is black). "Rock" the threaded plastic portion of the switch out of its placed position. I wanted to see how the switch worked, so I popped the black snap top portion of the casing of the switch. This exposed the moving parts which include a long post which when the brake is applied the post moves out and "completes the circle" by touching brass plates and the brake lights go off and on. Further checking, I found the problem. This part is original from 1990. There are sets of contacts which have "arked" with carbon "fingers" and that was causing the lights to remain on. I called the local auto parts store. The new part will cost $13.95 and it will be in tomorrow. I will replace the new part tomorrow and it's back to 100%. I hope this explanation will help others. The dealer would have charged $100 p/h, plus parts (a total of $378.00). All it will end up costing is approximately $14.00 plus and a little time.

Thank you to all three. Your assistance again has made tinkering fun!

All the best,

Gary

Hey Barney, Harry, Howard and Mike...and all you out there,

I picked up the Brake Switch with a cost of just under $14.00. I replaced the part within moments. Before replacing the two screws to close up the partion, I applied the brake twice. The lights go on and off perfectly.

The part you will need (should your auto store use Standard Motor Products, Inc. for their parts supplier) is SLS174 - bar code number 9176908837.

Thank you again. If you need to see what the part looks like, please let me know your email address and I will forward the image to you.

All the best,

Gary

I have to agree with Barney - the first post about waggling the turn signal made it sound more like a bad ground to me.

Just tried on my 88 and if you press the brake pedal with the ignition off, both sides come on and the turn signal position has no effect. 90 Bonneville acts the same.