Rewire the Beast

Guest John Chapman

Guest John Chapman

OK... I give.<BR>It seems I have a nest of electrical gremlins that live/hide/prosper in my Skylark's fuse block/firewall connector. Seems that the ole glass BUSS fuses and holders have exceeded the designed service life. I'm ready to chuck the whole mess and put in a new harness. Anybody out there have any experience with the Painless system?<P>Thanks,<BR>JMC

I just put an upgraded system from American Autowire in my '57 Chevy wagon. I liked that one for several reasons: it used modern fuses/circuit board, the flasher canister and horn relay were integral, there was an option to wire the entire gauge panel and have one plug to the rest of the harness (a HUGE plus in my book), and most importantly, ever wire was silk screened with what it was for, the whole length of the wire. That made it really nice.<BR>Finally, there were a lot of wires already installed on the fuse panel for extras, such as electric fuel pump, electric fan, power windows, locks, seats, etc. That would make future upgrades a breeze. ('Course, my wagon is radio delete, heater delete, no power anything, rat-rod tech, but it's nice to have the option...)<BR>The kit was very reasonably priced. Whichever you get, be sure the wires are labeled their whole length--that's worth the price right there.<BR>-Brad

The Painless Wiring operation grew out of the street rod hobby several years ago. All of the pieces are OEM Packard Electric items (or were back then) with more late model style fuse/relay/flasher items. In the years since that first start, Painless has expanded their operation and product line greatly. If you buy the kit from GMPerformance Parts, it's a Painless Wiring kit. I suspect that color codes are compatible with existing GM architecture too.<P>From what I gather, their kits are somewhat generic so you might have to do some cut and connect activities at the wire ends. But, to me, the best thing is the OEM Spec pieces as it has been observed that some of the repro wiring harnesses might not have the same quality of wire/insulation as the production items did.<P>Plus, I can drive to the Painless office in about 25 minutes. I know the owner and one of his development people. From what I've seen, they are quality people.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467