nailhead or fireball?

WillBilly53

Guest oldtimer

the fireball was a name, like olds "rocket" or desotos (and other mopars) "red ram". the nailhead was a name but more like a chevy "rat" motor (meaning big block). the nailhead was the V-8 from 53 to 66, the fireball was the straight eight. you should have a 322 V-8 (if its the correct motor). here's another site to look at (my screen name is "Dan" in there): <A HREF="http://www.buicks.net/shop/engine_ident.html" TARGET=_blank>www.buicks.net/shop/engine_ident.html</A> <P>here's question for the group, was the "nailhead" a offical term from buick or was it a nickname given to the motor later ?.<P>if i'm wrong about any info above please correct me (this thread pre-dates my parents)<p>[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: oldtimer ]

The term "Fireball"came into being with the introduction of the 1041 Buicks.The shape of the piston gave the combustion chamber a "ball" shape.The pistons so-shaped remained in production as long as straight-eights were produced.

Guest oldtimer

i can't believe i forgot about the fireball V-8s...........if yours has 4 plugs on one side and 4 on the other, then it's a V-8. the straight 8 is 8 in a row (a BIG motor). the "v" means single crankshaft with connecting rods making a "v". some motors have a pitch degree difference for the angle of the "v", but non the less still a "v". hope this made some sense, i'm tired.

My understanding on the term "Nail Head" was that the heads of the valves were very small, especially when compared to other engines. The valve heads were said to be "no bigger than nail heads."<BR>I've also heard it applied to the strange configuration of the valve train having the valves go straight up and down (like nails driving into wood), not canted at an angle like other engines.<BR>Now, is "Nail Head" one word or two?! That's the question that's been bugging me!

hey brad, that's interesting cause my engine doesn't look like a "V"<BR>so is mine still a v-8? it has 4 cylinders on each side. but it looks as though they move up and down in stead of at a diagonal. can someone please explain this to me?<BR> a straight 8 is 8 cylinders in one single line, right? <BR>so is mine still considered a "V8"?

thanks rocketraider. i don't know, ever since i can remember i've just been infatuated with cars, styles, movies before i was born. i remember putting together a model of '57 chevy when i was kid. and just for some reason or another i just loved the styles from this era. i remember sifting through my mom's 45's and my dad had gotten a collection of Time Life Cassette Tapes of the "Fabulous Fifties" I also remember him talking a lot about him growing up in the 50's and it just seemed like a cool time. (at least for a white male). The music really rocked, the styles were so cool. i remember seeing "rebel without a cause" when i was kid on TCM and was just completely in awe! i love that movie. through high school i just wanted to be a greaser. i was fake though. i knew nothing about cars nor did i mess around with them, i drove a '76 mercedes rust bucket with a 45 record dangling from my rear view mirror (at the time all these other kids had cd's dangling from the rear view mirrors in their lo-riders) <P>oh and to answer your question. i'm a huge b-movie freak and film freak in general. i get those pics from amazon. they have some good older movies there. i just ordered "the fast and the furious (1954)" and "hot rod girl" on DVD!

Guest oldtimer

hey willy try here, <A HREF="http://www.motorbooks.com" TARGET=_blank>www.motorbooks.com</A> <BR>i bought a book from barnes and noble called "races, chases and crashes: a complete guide to car movies and biker flicks" (from motorbooks). a few years ago the re released "munster, go home" on vhs (oooooo drag-u-la). gone in 60 seconds (the original) is on dvd. get the book and then find the movies.

• 1 year later...