Structural Wood for Early Chevrolet

Johny

Guest De Soto Frank

Johnny,

Try these folks: "www.chevywood.com" (K.C. Wood Manufacturing).

They specialize in body wood for pre-1937 Chevy cars and trucks, and I recall their prices being quite reasonable.

Is your '36 a "high cab" (3-hinge door) or "Low cab" (2-hinge door) ?

Guest De Soto Frank

I have not purchased from them; I did make inquiries about body wood for my Dad's 1930 Chevy sedan.

I used to have a '36 Chevy Low-cab pick-up, which also needed new wood.

There are only three pieces: the two door pillars and the cowl cross-sill.

The door pillars are fairly complicated, having compound curves and all sorts of milling...it was way beyond my shop and skill capabilities.

I have priced cab-wood kits from soem other sources, among them Jim Carter truck parts and I think the three pieces were around $500...?

There is another woodwright, in Glen Rock, PA; I believe his name is David Entler. I think he specializes in '33-'36 Chevys too...

I might get in trouble for suggesting this, but there's a website dedicated to old Chevy & GMC trucks: www.stovebolt.com ("The Stovebolt Page"), you might get some more links from that bunch...

If I find any more info about body wood I will post it here.

• 18 years later...

You mean the one in the center, don't you? The one the front doors hang on in a 1935?

To the best of my knowledge no one makes a kit. If anyone still did, I think it would be KC. Fisher made the wood first and put the metal skin on after. A guy I met with a 35 Pontiac sedan (that post is almost identical) made 3 pieces, one to fit in the front of the post (facing the front of the car), one to fit the rear, and a piece with flat sides to fit in the middle. He then glued it all together inside the post. There are people on this forum who can make custom wood, but they will need to have the whole body present in order for it to fit right.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bloo said:

You mean the one in the center, don't you? The one the front doors hang on in a 1935?

To the best of my knowledge no one makes a kit. If anyone still did, I think it would be KC. Fisher made the wood first and put the metal skin on after. A guy I met with a 35 Pontiac sedan (that post is almost identical) made 3 pieces, one to fit in the front of the post (facing the front of the car), one to fit the rear, and a piece with flat sides to fit in the middle. He then glued it all together inside the post. There are people on this forum who can make custom wood, but they will need to have the whole body present in order for it to fit right.

yes the center pillar where the front doors are hung on the the rear doors latch.  ideally I'd love to redo all the wood however that's a feat in itself, would be one of the few that have been redone, and the cost would be potentially astronomical.  I'd be willing to take the cab. I'm located in new mexico.

17 hours ago, Bloo said:

I believe Bill Cartwright of KC makes 36 chevy wood. I was just speaking with him the other day and he is currently backlogged with truck wood work. He has a few pieces of 36 wood in stock but not what you need. He won’t be making any car wood up in the near future according to our recent conversation.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Where are you located?

i'm in new mexico - thank you for getting back to me, i've called his number a few times nd left messages I spoke with classic wood they do have the pillars and main sills, I'm also needing to replace wood on the doors, I'll tackle it a piece at a time. thank you very much for following up with me.

I need some wood pieces made. is there anyone in SoCal that can copy a wood piece? I have learned how to do many things working on the 29 cad but wood and I do not get along very good. Measure twice and one more time just to make sure and I still get it wrong!!!

6 hours ago, jp1gt said:

I need some wood pieces made. is there anyone in SoCal that can copy a wood piece? I have learned how to do many things working on the 29 cad but wood and I do not get along very good. Measure twice and one more time just to make sure and I still get it wrong!!!

If you have enough of the original pieces (even if some areas are rotted) there are a few of us here that make wood. I made the upper roof rails, bows, front, and rear bows for a 33 olds just from some remnants. The new pieces fit for the customer perfectly. You can see those pieces I made and from what I started wit in the restoration forums section. Look for a thread on a 33 olds. As Restorer32 said, it’s always best to have the car but if there’s enough of the original pieces, most likely they can be made. You will most likely have to do some fitting but that’s how it goes. I have just finished rewooding a 32 Canadian Olds and you can see that also in the restoration forums.