I'm back! (You have been warned!) ;)

Amphicar BUYER

After a bit of bad luck (laid of twice in less than a year) and some good luck, I am back on this fine forum. I sure did miss reading and putting my $.02 worth in (even if it wasn't worth that much!)

I have done some road trippin' taking the Amphicar to Yellowstone, Ohio, Illinois and a few other places. Delivered an Amphi to my good friend in Florida who put up with us for 2 weeks.

I now am a proud board member of the International Amphicar Owner's Club too.

The economy has not been my friend lately. Lucky I have planned for these times by saving and having something to fall back on. Amphicars have done that a little. Got to take mine around the country and deliver customer's cars to few more places. Not a bad gig to have.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here is a shot from Last June @ Lake Yellowstone.</span>

amphi_yellowstone_ramp.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">This is @ Buffalo Bill Resevoir, Cody, Wy last June</span>

amphi_BuffaloBillResevoir.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">And this was a VERY SPECIAL trip to the top of Crazy Horse Monument during Sturgis Week. What a great trip that was!</span>

Looking%20up%20at%20Crazyhorse.jpg

John, Good to hear from you as I have been wondering what caused your disappearance. Now I know, out having a good time! I emailed you a few times but I think I'm getting caught up in your spam detector. Restoring the front trunk area of the Amphi this winter and will hopefully have it done in time for the Florida event.

Nice pictures! This area looks like the lake I went to for a week just before the winter tear down. Over 100 miles of shoreline and for 3 days I hardly saw and other boats.

What an amazing photo of the Crazy Horse monument. Do you have any others of it.

A quick story about it. When they interviewed the man that designed it and started the project he told them that every morning when he set the charges of dynamite, before he set them off, he would ask, "Crazy Horse, are you in there? And when I pushed the plunger to set off the dynamite, Crazy Horse would say 'Unh!!'" (That comes from a movie titled "They Said It Couldn't Be Done" which told the stories of many things that were done by people with vision.)

I ahve several others. We spent about 90 minutes on top. What an incredible view and "feeling" you have to be there to understand. Truely an experience I will always remember.

This is the rarely seen view from the tip of his outstreatched finger, looking over the visitor's center. - WOW! The small round outcropping in the foreground is Korczak Ziolkowski's tomb (Sculpter). It can only been seen from this viewpoint.

View%20from%20atop%20CrazyHorse%7E0.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I'm getting caught up in your spam detector. Restoring the front trunk area of the Amphi this winter and will hopefully have it done in time for the Florida event.

Nice pictures! This area looks like the lake I went to for a week just before the winter tear down. Over 100 miles of shoreline and for 3 days I hardly saw and other boats.

</div></div>

What addy are you using Ron? My @netzero.com one?

Feel free to contact me with questions if ya like. I have some good photos of a correct trunk. I'm going to spend New Year's Eve with Tommy in Tampa, should be nice being on the beach instead of freezing my a$$ off. crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it completely finished now? </div></div>

It is not anticipated to be finished for about 50 to 100+ more years. It is 100% financed by public donations, NO gov't grants will be accepted. Twice, $10M was offered by the US Gvt. And twice turned down.

According to Mr.Z's son, they do not want anyone to have any say over what is done at the mountain. They are concerned that it would not be finished much like Mt. Rushmore is not finished as per the original plans. After the Feds took the project over, they decided to stop at the current level. Rushmore was originally slated to include the 4 from head to waist rather than just heads.

crazyhorse_face1.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

I was out that way in 98 (for the Sturgis Rally) but never made it over to Crazy Horse because the Road was under construction and we were on our motorcycles. No fun driving on graveled and a pothole filled road on a motorcycle.

I can understand where they are coming from. I am on the board of a group that this year matched 2,620 kids with sponsors to buy Christmas presents for them. To be on the board to to have to have been with the group for a year, come to general meetings and have worked with the actual program. We do not have any "corporate" or "figurehead" board members. Because we don't want someone getting into power and changing the direction of the effort, which was founded by two wonderful people.

It amazes me that a bunch of stonecutters can take a piece of rock, bring it to life and you can see expression and emotion in his face.

Do you have a shot that shows how much is done?

On the Crazy Horse subject, wasn't he the indian who never permitted his photograph to be taken in his lifetime? If so where did they get the image used for the sculpture? Your photos are really exciting to see the wonderful detail up close. Stude8