I BOUGHT IT

Guffin

Guest trevor ward

Fantastic looking car... when the attachment opened i was stunned grin.gif

A thing of beauty...hope it is a real goodun!!

Trevor... '64 Le sabre ..... hibernating!! the car , not me!

as long as you did not send a check to some banker in South Africa, you'll be ok.

I've bought three cars and on Airstream trailer without seeing it in person.

Bill, thank you for offering help finding a transporter. As it is rather expensive I appreciate all help I can get to make it as cost effective as possible (without risking the car, of cause). As I wrote before I did not dare to take it home until spring due to the risk of too much snow. But I don't know if I could wait soo long confused.gif If I follow Brians advice I could ship the car by your friend in Huston.

Brian's suggestion to come over myself and drive to the BCA meeting in Batavia, sounds very tempting. It is 811 miles between Crystal City and Batavia. Not too long but then I have to wait until the summer. Are there no interesting meetings in the spring?

As for Joe's recommendations for music, I have collected a lot of old recordings in MP3 format, the oldest from 1905 and up to the 40ties and above. Together 1045 MB. If anybody is interested I can send a CD-copy.

I am happy you all liked the car. I couldn't resist buying it. My wife does not kno it. She is now in Japan and is coming back in January (I hope). I think she would like to go to USA.

Jan

I was going to suggest the same as Brian. Pick up the car and drive to Batavia. I am sure we could help get you safely to NY or Boston for transport should you elect to do that. Regarding shows in spring in the Northeast, many do not get started until May, to be safe with the weather (spring rains), but I bet if you work out a schedule, I am certain we could get BCAers to help you along any route you select, possible with short meetings with local chapters along the way to whatever port you select. To be honest going south would be a safer bet if you do it before Batavia, again based on rain in the northeast in Spring. Keep us informed with your decision after your wife gets back, and how long you can keep away from the car, and let us know.

As an aside, I would love to see a picture of your '32 and learning a bit of its history, as I have a smaller model.

To everybody else reading the site, I am sure I am not speaking out of turn, and I am sure we would enjoy sharing some time with them if they come for the car. After all, that may be the last time many of us will see that car.

I dare say I wonder how many of us would be brave enough to purchase a car while the significant other is out of the country. "Oh well, honey, I did not have anything else to do while you were gone!!!".

John

Thank you John, I will keep you all informed about what I decide to do. Many thanks to all of you and the kind response to my post and the many offer of help in different ways. I feel I am having many friends over there and I really want to fly over meeting with you all.

As for my 32-87, there are some pictures at "Members Gallery", page 11 (I think). I fall in love with the 1932 Buicks when I found an add about a 32-67 in Norway. It was a restored car but with some strange sound in the gearbox. The owner also expected too much for it. Year 2000 I started to look for 1932 Buicks on the internet and found one very nice looking in MI, owned by a member of BCA. It had a 27 years old restoration and the car had been standing for some years. "It ran when it was parked there". When I got it to Sweden it ran only on four cylinders and the exhaust manifold was cracked. I started by taking off the cylinder head and found severely burned and corroded valves in cylinder 2 and 7. Pressurising the head revealed water leakage close to these valves but, fortunately, I found no water in the oil sump. The head was too bad to be able to repair. When I inspected the carburetor I found that one jet tip was missing and the Heat Riser was broken and pre-heating was disabled. The seller was surprised to hear about these complains and did what he could to find another cylinder head. First after one year I received a useful cylinder head. A new jet I got from Mac Blair and new valves I found on this forum. The heat riser I repaired by drilling out and putting a stainless steel tube through the whole length of the heat riser. (originally the steel tubes goes only from top down 2/3 of the length). Now everything works on the car except the Wizard Control.

I think the seller didn't know so much about engines. He had the cylinder head restored many years ago and I think the shop cheated him because there should be steel valve seats for running on leadfree gas, but there were none.

So I have done a lot of work to get a car in good running order to run. Despite all the problem I am glad I bought the car. The sad thing was that I probably could have the priice reduced a lot if I had known about all problems with the car.

John, if you give me your e-mail address I can mail you more information and pictures.

Jan

• 5 months later...

I got it home yesterday. i posted some pictures taken before shipment, at my gallery:

http://www.aaca.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9904

It IS a nice car. I inspected the underside of the car today and there is only surface rust on the floor and under the fenders. All sheet metal is in very good condition, only some surface rust, no rust repair. It is converted to 12 V and the ampere meter is disconnected and a battery volt meter added. The gas and temp meters are disconnected. The engine runs nice and quiet. It has a -53 engine that was restored two years ago Interior is new. The chrome is good but all pot metal shows small surface defects. The car came with a lot of parts in the trunk. A good gearbox, a good rear end from a -53 (better for highway driving), caburetors, starters etc.

The seller told me that he bought the car in 2001. It had then been stored, unused, in a garage for 41 years.

There are two defects on the front fender that wasn't on the photos taken before shipment.

Jan

Jan, thanks so much for providing the update on your 1940 Buick. I'm glad that it arrived safely and that it met your expectations. Please keep us posted, since we're eager to hear about your enjoyment of the car during the months and years ahead.