Modifying 25 DB sedan body into a 24 DB Touring

Kurtl

I am interested in buying a 1924 DB touring car. It is missing it's rear half of the body.

I'm wondering if our 1925 Dodge sedan (shell) could be cut and modified to fit properly as a tourer? My wife and I are not interested in showroom, just a nice looking driver when we finish. But how much work is this and also, how similiar are the fenders, seats etc? Obviously the doors will need massive altering.

Is there a real 24Touring rear half available out there?

I agree with above. This will be a huge, huge alteration if at all possible. You have hinges to relocate, door strikers and latches, plus you need to do something to close off the top of all the sheet metal you cut off. Fenders absolutely do not interchange at rear. You'll also have front seat back problems. And then you have to fit up some form of top. If you are good enough at sheet metal work to even consider this alteration, you probably could make up all the touring sheet metal from scratch, using wood framing instead of all steel. If you're not that good, why not contrive some form of an open "woodie" body and keep the sedan body in one piece?

Guest imported_tonymaddux

I'll have to agree with JB-ed on this one. It would likely be easier to make new sheet metal parts than to try to cut up the sedan. And along with his woodie idea, I currently have a wooden body on my touring, while the body is off the frame for rust repair. I scavenged several shipping pallets and hammered together what is possibly the world's ugliest wood-bodied car, just so I could drive the thing some while I was working on the body. Honestly, it looks a lot like a soap-box derby car from back when they actually made them from soap boxes. It is wood from the hood all the way back, solid oak, with a flat bed on the back. Wood cowl, wood doors, wood seats, and there is even a seat belt mounted to the frame, for the young passenger. I have been in two parades with it, and the crowds love it! I'd post a picture of it here if I had one handy.

Thanks, fellows, for your insight. I hear you! But I wonder, are the subrails /subframes interchangeable between these two cars? How about the front fenders? I need to know. Thank you for your helpful advice.

I guess what I really need is a real touring rear section with rear doors or a whole body for parts. Are there any out there that fit a 1924 Touring? Which years fit?

24-26 would mostly interchange. You could put the sedan body on the touring frame. Out west there seems to be plenty of rear sections also, don't know about your area. A 24-26 touring rear section should work. Dodge did have woodie or suburban bodies as well as someone else suggested, like Cantrell. Front fenders are the same. All models in the same year uses same frame.

Guest alex_houston

I TRADED OFF A 25 TOURING BODY TO A MAN WHO WILL MOST LIKELY NOT USE THE REAR SECTION OR DOORS. IT WOULD BE IN HOUSTON. WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN DRIVING THIS FAR IF I FOUND IS AVAILABLE?

Guest alex_houston

I now have the rear section of a '25 touring if you want it. Rusty bottom will require work but is the correct body part. Includes good fenders, doors and spare tire carrier for Disk wheels.

Call or e-mail 281-998-9435 apinyoz@ev1.net near Houston