Need Nut Splitter

kenmatthews

Hammer and cold chisel. If you're careful, you can do it without completely killing the threads on the bolt or shaft you're trying to save.

-Brad

Oh, invest in one of those chisel holders--Snap-on sells them. Trust me on this one--it's money well spent, if for no other reason than you won't have to try and regain your manliness when your wife or son sees you holding your hand and crying after you've whacked your thumb and index finger knuckles. For the fourth time. But you can't help it because by now they're so swelled up it's impossible to miss them.

Guest imported_MrEarl

good advice and ROTFL grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif and the funniest part is I BET you've been there. And also the subject line makes one kinda kringe to begin with eh?

Dear Ken,My Brother and i tore a Model A apart in the late sixties we were 13 at the time and that NUT splitter was our FAVORITE tool.I think we went through a couple three of em before we were done.WE couldn't be trusted with a gas axe.Have not seen one since,course i haven't been lookin too hard.I would follow Brads advice.diz laugh.gif

If you can gain enough access, I'd use a pneumatic cut off tool to slice the nut. Then soak it in pb-blaster for a few days. Unless you can slice it on both sides, in which case you may be able to just peel it off.

JD

Yeah, I saw that subject line and sorta "turned turtle" if ya know what I mean.

Man, I just whacked my knuckles good a couple days ago, chiseling off 40 years worth of grease, grime and dirt from that transmission case! I've never had to chisel dirt and grease off a car part!

I've got a nut splitter, but I've never been sucessful with it. Ever. A good, sharp cold chisel, a small-ish ball peen hammer to get in there, and split down one side of the offending nut, then "peel" open with a few more well-placed hits with the point of the chisel in the split, and you're good.

Usually, if I'm trying to chisel off a nut, it's because I don't want to kill the bolt or threaded rod it's on. If I don't care about the bolt, then I just tighten it until something breaks. I've rarely, if ever, killed the threads while chiseling. A good assortment of chisels, so you have the right size, is important.

-Brad