Price for re-chroming

65_wcat

I just dropped off 9 pieces of trim to be rechromed: (2) upper interior windshield moldings, (2) interior windshield side moldings, (1) interior mirror bracket, (2) quarter window moldings and (2)convertible visor brackets. The total cost (w/tax) was $575.

I have no idea what this should cost.

By way of background, I live in Long Island, NY. As far as I know there are few places in the NYC area that perform chrome plating (envirnomental laws). The place is convenient to my home and they do the work on site so I guess there is a cost savings for shipping.

I want to get other parts re-chromed but I don't want to give this guy anymore work until I'm sure I'm not being ripped off.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

BCA #38869

Sounds about right. The chroming process is not only labor-intensive, but involves a lot of toxic chemicals and hazardous waste disposal, and all the fees and licenses that this entails. Understanding the process can make the price make more sense:

1. The part must be completely stripped of old plating

2. The part is metal-finished to remove dents and straighten any imperfections

3. Cracks and other damage must be repaired by carefully welding and/or brazing

4. Pits are either filled with solder or buffed out

5. Part is copper plated as a foundation for the following nickel and chrome

6. Part is buffed to remove imperfections and replated with more copper as necessary

7. Once copper coat is perfectly buffed and part is free of flaws, it is nickel plated

8. Part is finally finish chromed--the chrome is a very thin layer that gives the nickel that bluish tint

In many cases, the buffing and copper plating part takes a great deal of care, especially if the part is intricate. This is also why a repaired and chrome-plated part will not be as sharp and crisp as an original or NOS part. The layers of copper blunt sharp corners and the buffing process further knocks them down--it's pretty much inevitable, though a good shop can minimize the blunting with A LOT of hand labor.

So, you can see that it isn't just dipping parts in a vat, but a very labor-intensive process. The grille on my '41 will likely cost me more than $1000 to be replated. This is exactly why I prefer to find perfect NOS parts that need no repairs--they can simply be stripped of old chrome and replated without the labor-intensive polishing. I even have an NOS grille that has never been plated--perfect for keeping costs under control. In some cases, it is more economical to pay the long dollar for a good part rather than repairing a poor one.

Hope this helps.

$575 still sounds too high to me. $1000 is about right for a complete '41 grille. I paid about that much for a complete 1950 Special grille including upper grille bar a couple of years ago. But the 9 pieces priced at $575 are so much smaller than either of those grilles, and also not as intricate. Windshield interior trim is a lot simpler than a grille.

If you aren't too concerned about the chrome being show quality when it is done, I can suggest a place called Economy Plating in Balch Springs (Dallas suburb), Texas. It may have some plated over pits when they are done, but the price will be less, I'm going to predict.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

pphillips922@earthlink.net

Thank you both for responding.

I will say that the two upper windshield pieces were pretty badly rusted and will require a bit of restoration.

I had also brought the hood lip and trunk lip mouldings as well. They wanted $125 ea, to rechrome those. They had small pits but no rust.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure what the going raet (if there even is a going rate) for these types of services. I do like the fact that I don't have to ship them and risk having them lost or damaged via mail.

I'll see how these parts come out before I give them anymore business.

Greg