25 Dodge fuel system questions

rjgillespie

Vacuum Tank:

What is the best way to clean? Can I just soak in a can of carb cleaner or will that destroy something?

Carb:

same question

Gas tank:

Float was laying in the bottom of the tank. Float rod will slip back into the hole where it is supposed to go but what holds it in place? Any sources for a new float? This car sat for at least 25 years with gas in the tank (about 3 gal. when I drained it) so is pretty gummed up. Any tips, tricks, etc will be greatly appreciated.

I also have a 1925 Dodge - how did you manage to remove the gas gauge? I've been spraying mine for weeks with WD-40 but still can not remove it with a strap wrench. My gauge does not work and I suspect a float problem. There is a web site that sells Ford parts -- www.mikes-afordable.com that offers gas gauge parts but until I see what's inside my tank, I have no idea if the Ford parts can be used.

Best Regards,

FMF

FMF,

Found an article in a back issue of the DB news which might solve the removal problem. It consists of bolting two pieces of plumbers strap together, far enough apart so they can be formed around the cap. Tighten the bolts so you have a tight grip and turn. The soft metal of the strap should give a good bite without marring the surface. Wish I had thought of that or read the article before the pipe wrench. Worth a try

• 4 weeks later...

BY REMOVING THE 15 SCREWS ON THE TOP THE TANK COMES APART IN THREE SECTIONS,

THE TOP WITH THE VALVES AND FLOAT, THE INNER TANK, AND FINALLY YOU ARE LEFT WITH THE OUTER TANK. CLEAN AS NECESSARY WITH CARB CLEANER. THE CORK GASGET WILL PROBABLY FALL APART. BUY A PIECE OF CORK SHEET AT A HOBBY STORE AND MAKE A NEW ONE.

VINCE

Join the Dodge Brothers Club

Purchase the 3 volume CD set of back issues and search for Vacuum tank info.

Buy an in line fuel filter from auto supply store to get crud out. This goes before the fuel pump and in the inline regulator.

Buy an in line electric fuel pump. (mine is 6 volt pos ground for '28 DB STD 6)

Install a electric fuel pump shutoff switch on/off under the dash so you can run the carb dry (e.g. starve for gas) before each shut off of the ignition.

Install an in line fuel regulator after the fuel pump. This is mechanical and goes from one half to 6 psi in one half pound increments. Start a 1 psi and observe if carb is over flowing from too much pressure. Mine is set at 1 and one half psi with the Stewart carb

Have a good fire extinguisher at hand. No kidding!

What carb do you have. The Stewart was used and gets gummed up but good as the metering valve rides on the shaft.

Take the carb apart and clean with gasoline and wd-40 after taking lots of pictures at each stage to assist reassembly.

Make sure all the bolts are tight at the carb to intake and intake to engine. Make sure timing is set. See reproduction owners' manual.

Have a good battery.

Make sure you get a good spark with gas off and number one distributor wire held 1\16 to 1\8 inch away from spark plug with starter engaged. If no strong spark maybe bad coil.

Lot's of people say the vac tank is great. But is you get tired of stalling every half mile try the above.

Good luck