D*** Sniper

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I've just been sniped on ebay by faxlit again.(Sniping is an automatic bid done in the last 5 seconds of bidding by a company that charges for this "service")Yesterday morning before leaving for work, I left what I thought was a very reasonable bid on the 1954 Buick Interchange Manual in case I didn't make it home early enough to bid. I have never seen this book offered anywhere before and desperately wanted it. I have interchange manuals but not a 54 Buick one! Well I was late getting home and BAM I had been hit, cancel medivac send a bodybag.

From looking at his member profile I see that over 500 more folks have been hit by this sniper since June alone. Apparently he puts some exceedinly high bids on all items and ends up getting some helluva deals on most items but also pays dearly for others. He also snatches up Buy it Nows almost as soon as they come up for auction. I realize this is his business and in business all is fair.And his positive feedback is 99.9%! I do wonder how high he bids on such items. I admit I often wait until the last 20-30 seconds and bid a reasonable bid but I saw items in his profile with prices you would not believe anyone would pay. I suppose I will contact him and see if he will sell it or when he plans to offer it up on ebay again.

But in the meantime, do any of you by chance have this manual (see link below ) or one from say 56 -57. I'd love to have a copied copy of it if so.

Just wanted to rave a little and warn you all the ebay woods are full of these guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...TRK%3AMEDW%3AIT

Guest imported_MrEarl

Yea, and when you're lucky enough to WIN something at a too low and great a price here's what you get... mad.gif

Dear 54roadmasters,

Hi 54roadmasters, You purchased a Buick Chrome Preservative can on Eay. Now the story, my husband backed over the can and flated it, I am so sorry but NO can to send. Thank you so much for your bid and have a great day. DISREGARD THE STATEMENT I SENT YOU. Thank you, Dot

My first response was," I think I would like to have the flattened can at the same price. (5.99)...After no reply here is my next,

Yea right Dot.You made my day so great!! what the friggin hell was the can doin in the driveway in the first place!! and are you sure you don't want me to send the money anyway. KMA Lamar

I would tell them that frankly you question whether that can was flattened, or whether they realized it was going for a very low price and backed out of the sale rather than backed over the can. Tell them you'd like to see a photo of the smashed can, otherwise you will leave negative feedback for them.

Then tell them also that you will be checking their auction listings every week for the next, oh, I don't know....year or so, making sure they don't relist it, just because you're bored, like to hold a grudge, and shop for Buick stuff religously anyway.

Finally, tell them that if you don't get a photo of the smashed can, and/or see the can listed again, you will be writing to e-bay explaining everything, and point out that according to all the literatures/agreements, an auction is a legally binding transaction, and that while they (the seller) might not think you're worth bothering with, you've done enough buying and selling on ebay, plus you've got enough time on your hands that you'll pester ebay enough that E-bay will make it their problem. Because, again, you're bored and don't mind holding a grudge.

Maybe they did actually back over it--I don't remember the last time I backed over something, particularly something very old, rare or that was supposed to be getting sold/packaged and shipped to someone, but it could have happened. At which point, an e-mailed picture isn't too much to ask for.

Either that or tell them you're going to be driving to that part of the country in a couple days, and you'll be happy to swing through and see the damage for yourself. Since you've got the address from their invoice and all... One way or the other, they'll respond!

-Brad

Guest imported_MrEarl

Ahh heck, it ain't worth all that. I just told her to send recent pictures of her husbands head... surely there would still be knots. wink.gif

Hey, you should become an Ebay Safe Harbour mediator. Seriously... it pays, and looks like you have plenty of time too wink.gifgrin.gif

Lamar,

I've never seen one of the interchange books before that you bid on, but the Buick parts price lists have codes to show usage in other GM makes, at least in 1969 and newer ones. I don't have an older one so don't know when this feature started. Not as useful as a real interchange book, but it may serve your purpose.

John

Lamar... did you also notice he doesn't seem to sell anything? No feedback from buyers. Odd. I wonder what he is doing with such a large compendium of auto manuals and such. 1000+ purchases in the last 6 months? Wow. Maybe he runs an brick-n-mortar store and buys his "stock" from eBay? Who knows....

Budd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lamar... did you also notice he doesn't seem to sell anything? No feedback from buyers. Odd. I wonder what he is doing with such a large compendium of auto manuals and such. 1000+ purchases in the last 6 months? Wow. Maybe he runs an brick-n-mortar store and buys his "stock" from eBay? Who knows....

Budd </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I suppose I will contact him and see if he will sell it or when he plans to offer it up on ebay again.

</div></div>

I'd all but guarantee that "faxlit" is Faxon Auto Literature's buyer name. They sell on eBay under the name faxbook. Check the feedback rating there for a breakdown of (29,000+) buyers and (3) sellers. When the interchange book comes back up for sale, it'll be under "faxbook" or on their normal web page almost certainly.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Budd,

I have a couple of Hollanders but my tears are over the fact that it was an original, produced by BUICK, 1954 Buick Interchange Manual. Never seen one before and may never again.

Dave,

Yea, looks like you've got it figured out. I had concluded that they most likely buy under one name and sell under another. I recalled the Faxon seller ID and in fact have purchased from them before. So I may go ahead and contact them and perhaps all is not lost after all.

If I ever get my hands on it I will somehow offer its contents up for copying or downloading to the forum. Maybe you can help out there Budd. Man wouldn't a 1956 edition be nice!!!

Thanks guys,

Guest imported_MrEarl

John,

I'll look into that. Never even seen an exclusive 54 parts price list so don't know if they would have that code number or not. Thanks for the idea.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Hey, got a quick reply from faxbook and here it is...

Hi - I plan on keeping the Buick interchange book for my personal collection, but I do appreciate your offer.

Thanks,

faxbook

oh well, ya loose some and ya loose some frown.gif

I'm the big crusader for "find and share" when it comes to the old literature, so it really frosts me that folks out there are making a buck off of the rest of us by buying up the rare stuff and hoarding it. I suppose the "private collection" means that "Ed" the owner of Faxon keeps the original and it's going to be duplicated in-house and sold for profit. Oh well, screw them... I'm going to keep finding and offering up the '56 stuff FOR FREE. Same copyright rules apply to me, but I don't care to charge for it. smile.gifsmile.gif

I was talking to another classic car restorer the other day, mentioning that I had a web site (his eyes gloss over at this point, old dog) and that I've helped people all over the world find and reference parts and such for 56 Buicks. He tells me, "Why you doing that? You shouldn't tell people where the stuff is... you need it for yourself! Fool...you're never going to get your car restored that way..." something to that affect. I was miffed. "So you'd rather be the only one driving your type of car around, and no one else?" What's the point in that? Who amongst us would love to see more of the classic Buicks driving around? Christ, I about drive off the road when I crane my neck around to see a nice old Buick driving by (ever so rare an occasion that it is!).

Sorry... I'll get off my soapbox now.

Budd

Budd

I agree with Budd. If you've got a lead or can help someone out why not. I'm sure all of us have been helped by someone when trying to restore our old Buicks. I know I have. Especially Ted Nagel. Very knowledgable and extremely helpful.

I just met a guy last Friday driving a '69 Lesabre coupe when I had my '65 Wildcat conv out for a ride. He pulled right up next to me and asked "Hey, where do you find parts??? I need a windshield". I told him the same thing I tell everyone: join the Buick Club of America. If you've got a need or a problem, these people can and usually will help. After that, e-bay, old buickparts.com, Wheatbelt Buicks, etc.

Let's face it, there's just not as many sources for repro parts for Buicks as say Ford's or Chevy's. Although it can be problematic at times, it adds to the mystique of owning a Buick! ( in my opinion anyway)

Greg