Where Do I Find Part Numbers?

jerryacheson

I'm new to the Buick hobby as many of you know. If I were looking for Chevy numbers, I'd start at the Assembly Manual. Where do I find them for Buicks?<P>I have the Chasis and Body Service Manuals. Is there an assembly manual that I should have for my 62 Electra? Any suggestions on where to get what I need?<P>I'm looking for the part number for the crank shaft pulley for a 401 4bbl with AC.<P>Thanks in advance for your help.<P>Jerry<p>[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Jerry Acheson ]

Jerry, you and I need the same books...Master Chassis Parts Book and the Master Body Parts book. I've been watching for them on Ebay for 6 months and haven't seen either one yet, and I don't think I will. I've checked with most of the book sellers too. You can buy them from CARS for about 90 to 100 each, but a fair price is 150 for both I'm told. I think I'm finally on the mend now, so I'll catch up with you on email one day. Did you pull your motor and paint it?<BR>Pat

Jerry,<BR>Thanks for the response. I thought I had stumbled onto a "blast from the past", as I attended grade school in Lafayette in the 50's with a guy with the same name. <BR>Hope to meet you some day!<BR>Bob Leets grin.gif" border="0

Be very careful about buying a parts catalog (used or reprint). For example, I have a 1966 car. Year One advertised a GM 1965-1972 Buick parts catalog. Sounded great - WRONG!<P>The catalog was a final version, printed in 1981. Almost all the pages related to 1970-1972 cars. Almost nothing shown for earlier cars, as many of those parts were no longer made by 1981. Year One refunded my money.<P>Finally bought a used GM of Canada Buick Special/Skylark parts catalog printed in 1971. Had pictures and numbers of just about everything for 1966 cars.<P>Don't buy a parts catalog unless it's print date is within a few years of your car

Check with GM Photographic. 31752 Enterprise Drive Livonia MI 48150. A long time ago there was a guy named Dick Zorn there who specialized in the older GM parts books.

I've noticed that some parts books cover one year, while others are called master parts books and cover multiple years such as 1940 thru 1965 for example. Which is best to have? Obiviously, the multiple year book allows you to look up parts for many different years, but is it as detailed and reliable for any one given year as the single year parts book? Thanks<BR>Pat

The issue regarding looking at the print date of the GM parts books (for any vehicle) is certainly valid. Items which are suspected of being discontinued when the then-current stock is depleted are not in the later versions--yet there can still be stock on these items in the GM parts system. I found that out many years ago with 55-57 Chevy parts.<P>There are a couple of vendors out there with CD based information on parts, specs, and such. Seems like I've seen an ad or two in The Bugle. There is one vendor called "Detroit Iron" that had this stuff but I don't know how good his products are--supposed to be customized for particular years and also include sales literature information.<P>One thing to consider is that any GM part number for a particular part is subject to change several times throughout the life of that part (and it's design changes and revisions, plus what is suspected to be caused by different batches and/or vendor changes). But if you have one number, it's at least a starting point.<P>Another possibly less pricey source is the Motor and Chilton "crash book" body shop estimating manuals. For many of the items which are sought in later years, these books might be better than a GM parts book set--detailed illustrations of exterior trim and such. Plus, they are for a range of years instead of just a specific year so interchanges can possibly be determined too (i.e., if a LeSabre part has the same part number as for an Electra).<P>A more general source could be the Hollander Interchange manuals used by the salvage yard people. I believe they'll have GM part numbers, maybe even some casting number ID, but will not specify which year a particular part number is for. As this is an "interchange" book, it might be considered to be more of a "will fit" oriented publication rather than the "specific fit" orientation of the factory publications.<P>Being armed with GM part numbers will certainly expedite the search for NOS parts or even some used parts, but some of these things are not quite as absolute as they might be perceived to be. The buyer still needs to know what they are looking for plus be willing to make some compromises in some cases.<P>But, just because you have a GM part number does not mean you'll suddenly find what you need or desire to find. Yet it might also weed out the parts which others claim will fit your car when you can prove they might not.<P>You might find the ads for the CD information vendors in Hemmings or similar.<P>Enjoy!

All of the GM published books are in multiple year models--i.e., 1964-1975, 1976-1986. I have not seen any "one year only" parts books from GM unless it was the first year of a particular model (i.e., Vega, Corvair, 3rd gen Camaro) where only that model was in the book. <P>I'm not sure where the term "Master" got into the mix, but I've never seen anything other than the main parts books from GM (at least in the past 25.5 yrs in GM parts at the dealership level). It might have originated in earlier times to indicate that it was "all inclusive" as there have been some specific "QuikSpec" leaflet parts/illustration publications (for things like automatic transmissions) over the years instead of being concerned with just one aspect of the vehicle.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

I know of a couple of one year only parts manuals if we go back to the mid 60's. Just this month on eBay there was a 1964 Buick parts manual covering all '64 Buicks. In 1966 Oldsmobile published a parts manual covering all models. And there was a revision issued every two months during the model year. Oldsmobile also issued '91 Custom Crusier parts manuals as a all inclusive manual. Henry

There are several years that buick published a parts and illustration book for one year only. I believe that 1964 was the first and each year until 1969 this book was published.<BR>If you can find one for your year car they are great. All had a RED cover and about 2 inches thick and covered all models of that year.<BR>I recently purchased a parts book on E-Bay, a Master chassi and body dated Juli1 1962.<BR>Both books had the same issue date, and covered from 1940 to 1962. They are around.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

• 4 weeks later...

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, there is no substitute for having the right year master parts manuals. My parts books have saved me the money I paid for them by knowing what parts not to buy. The shop service manuals are also necessary, but having a correct era parts book can answer a lot of questions.

Having the complete set of parts books (of appropriate printing date with respect to the year of the vehicle) and the appropriate year GM service manual can certainly be invaluable in many cases. Many things changed between the different Buick models than you would ever suspect--many of these little things I've seen in comparing salvage yard Buicks between LeSabres and Wildcats and Electras, for example.<P>One other parts book to look for now that swap meet season is upon us, is the AC-Delco "Illustrated Parts Manual" for things like air conditioning, electrical, and shock absorbers. If you find the same thing in another vendor's brand (i.e., Monroe shocks, Moog suspension, Standard Ignition) it can also be good. These illustrated parts books typically had pictures and GM part numbers with basic applications for the individual parts, plus the vendor's part number. In the back usually were specs on those parts too. If you're trying to really pin something down that isn't in the GM books, these types of books can really come in handy. There's a great one for AC-Delco Emission controls for the later vehicles too.<P>For engine-related parts, finding an older Dana/Perfect Circle engine parts book can really be great. Everything is listed by engine manufacturer, size, and year of manufacture. It's real easy to see what years and such various parts fit by following the progression of model years and such. In many cases, the casting numbers of pistons, rods, and crankshafts are also listed. Lots of great information in those!<P>Something else to consider if you can't always get the GM books as such. Plus, if a particular part fits another GM vehicle, it'll be listed there too. If you could find an old auto supply parts book rack, you can really have some fun!<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

thought I'd add a note to the single year vs. multi year posts.<P>I have a "Buick Chassis and Body Parts Book" for all 1966 models. It has listings, illustrations, and prices. Book has 705 pages. Red cover.<P>Interestingly, the first page states "For parts not illustrated, please refer to the Master Parts Book". Which tells me that there was even another reference book.<P>So, single year Buick parts books did exist (at least for 1966).