Please buy this car before I have to!

Matt Harwood

Hi guys:

1941 Century Business Coupe on Ebay

Here's a car that's been on Ebay a few times already, and if I didn't already have my hands full, I'd probably buy it myself. It's a 1941 Century similar to mine, except it is one of the 222 <span style="font-style: italic">Business Coupes</span> (not a Sedanette) built without a back seat and a HUGE trunk, making it kind of unusual and unique (I have yet to find one in captivity). It's already been restored, but apparently fell off a trailer recently. I don't know the actual condition, but it looks like it could be a relatively easy project.

The car has been through 3 auctions already with no sale, and the reserve was formerly at $3500, which is a STEAL (I paid almost twice that for my car). I don't know the seller, don't have any stake in the car except that I'm having a hard time not buying it myself. Of course, I don't need another identical project car, and having this one and mine leads to the quandry: <span style="font-style: italic">which one do I restore? </span>I don't need that headache, so I'm begging one of you Buick enthusiasts to give it a shot. I'll help you any way I can and so will the guys at the Dual Carb Registry. Give this great car a good home, that's all I ask!

Don't make me buy it and end my marriage! grin.gif

Matt, that's a beautiful car, and I also hope that this one ends up in appreciative hands. Thanks for the alert.

Since we're on the subject of a pre-war Buick, I certainly would enjoy seeing much more discussion on this forum regarding the cars of the '30's and early '40's. These Buicks are widely-collected and even more of us admire them, but I'm not sure how we attract the pre-war Buick enthusiasts to this forum. Thanks, Matt, for your effort to remind us about these cars.

I really enjoyed the photos in my newly-arrived August "Bugle". The front cover photo of the 1934 model 57 sedan and the rear cover photos of the 1936 (mis-captioned "1930") Roadmaster and 1940 Super convertible sedans were my favorites. Wish I could be in the market for a pre-war Buick, but I likewise value my marriage!

For my part, I am a bit confused about the current condition. Seems the photos are of different stages. If the front was damaged with the trailer, why is the rear bumper off and one light out? Seems interested parties would have to ask a few questions of the owner, and/or see the car.

Matt, in reading your bio, you mention your father's business coupe, so maybe this car needs to be yours. Being more familiar with the 20's and 30's, I am curious - Is the sedanette the same body as the business coupe with just the different interior. My wife's as she was growing up had a '41 sedan. This weekend I expect to see a '41 sedan that was an older restoration and has been idle for a few, after the owner's passing. Being sold by his daughter and son-in-law. So this one too is tempting, but like you all, do I need another, and if so, what should I get????

Maybe you can shed some light. What years before '60s were the engines red?

John

John

Hi John,

I don't know exactly what happened with this particular car, and frankly, looking at the damage, it's hard to say. I'm guessing that the rear bumper and taillight were damaged at the same time--you can see that the body under the taillights is dinged. You'll also note that in the photos where the car has front sheetmetal on it, it is the sheetmetal from the parts car next to it (which is included in the auction, I think). It's hard to say what happened, and I won't make any guesses based on just some photos. If you are interested, I'm sure the owner would answer questions. I also have family in the area who might be willing to take a look at it if anyone is serious.

My father actually had a Super business coupe, which was quite a bit different than a Century (I've attached a photo):

Super_Coupe.jpg

You are correct in guessing that the business coupe's primary difference is simply the interior. There may also be some trim differences around the side windows, but it appears that this car has the sedanette trim, so that may not have been the case on every car they built. I do think it is unlikely that anyone would convert a sedanette to a business coupe, however. The data plate would also indicate the body style as a model 66 instead of a 66-S.

When you're looking at '41s, remember that the Century, Roadmaster and Limited had the big 320 inch motor, while the Special and Super had the smaller motor. If you're looking at a project car, this might be a consideration. In the few short drives I took in my Century before taking it apart, it felt every bit as perky as a modern car and had no trouble cutting and thrusting through traffic. That big motor makes A LOT of torque.

1941 was the only year of the Dante Red engine, and in fact, that didn't start until production was well underway. Prior to that they were the same gray color as 1940.

Hope that answers your questions. Like I said, if I'd seen this car before I bought mine, I would have bought it in a heartbeat, sight-unseen. Today, well, I already have one in about a million pieces, and I think I'd have trouble deciding which one was the "preferred son." I don't much want to have that debate because it'll never feel right to me, no matter what.

Take care and let us know what you end up with!

I, too, have been intrigued by this car in its three appearances on Ebay. It looks like a fairly easy fix, having been completely restored not too long ago, and then been in the accident. If it weren't 1200-1400 miles away in Michigan, I would have bid on it, as it seems to be reasonably priced. Just look at that gorgeous, correctly done interior--the $3500 reserve mentioned in a previous post would scarcely cover the cost of that interior, let along all of the engine work.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Pete, if you're seriously interested, I could have some family up there take a look at it, or I'd even be willing to visit my family and take a look for you if it meant another great car got saved.

Or, at the very worst, if it arrives and you realize that it is beyond your help, it's certainly worth more than $4200 (car+shipping) in parts on Ebay, that's for sure! I'd probably be willing to buy much of it if that's the route you go.

By the way, I bought my Century sight-unseen from Colorado (I'm in Ohio) and had it shipped for about $700.

Let me know!

• 3 weeks later...