EXTREMELY RARE car

Guest Shaffer

Shaffer, that '72 Electra 225 on Ebay that you linked us to is definitely the standard Electra 225. It appears that the front seat has a solid back all the way across rather than the notchback design of the Customs and Custom Limiteds. <P>I am quite sure that the base Electra interior -- as well as the Custom and Limited interiors -- was available in either all vinyl or vinyl and cloth.

Wonder what transmission was used in Thad's 61 Olds? I'm bound to think the 4-speed Chevy used wouldn't have lasted long behind Olds torque and weight. <P>It's interesting to note that Olds never offered four-speeds in their full-size cars until 1965. Rumour is that if you knew how to pull strings, you could get it in a 1964 Jetstar 88 (330 cid car) but not the 394 equipped Jetstar I. The 64 J-I had a heavy duty 3-speed transmission with floor shift standard, but if one was ever built, I do not know of it. I've seen several 4-speed 65 Jetstar I. <P>And we go back to another thread about 63 LeSabre with 4-speed. Never saw one, but I have seen a 4-speed 63 Wildcat that totally blew my mind when I saw it, with that shifter angled back toward the front of the car.

Guest Shaffer

CENTURION: Thanks for the note. I never noticed the difference in the seat. I guess the easiest way to tell a base, Custom amd Limited Electra for 71-73 at least, is the door panels. All three trim lines have different panels. The base (the 72 shown) has the shorter arm rest and no pull strap. The Custom has a full-length arm rest and the Limited, (as shown on the 71 Limited shown) has a similar doorpanel as the Custom, but the woodgrian trim on the door has "squared" corners, while the Custom has a "sloped" woodgrain trim on the front part of the panel. Also the cloth inside the trim on the Limited, has a verticle pattern. The seat difference I notice on the Limited and Custom, is that the pattern of the cloth is different and the Limited has map pockets on the back of the front seats. I have seen 72 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eights, with the exact same looking seat back.

I can't resist adding my own Buick "oddity" spotter report. In 1978, I stopped at a small used car lot somewhere along the Fox Valley in Wisconsin to check out a clean-looking 1969 or 1970 Buick LeSabre or Wildcat 2-door hardtop (I remember it as having been a 1970 Wildcat, but it was a long time ago and I wouldn't swear to that now). It was yellow with a black top ... the top painted black, rather than vinyl. When I looked inside, I was stunned to discover it had a three-speed manual transmission. It was a really nice car. I've often wondered what became of it. Around the same time, the Buick dealer in Algoma, Wisconsin, had a loaded 1974 Buick Apollo GSX on the front row of his used car lot display ... another rare one. There were many extremely low-option 1950s and 1960s cars of all kinds in Wisconsin, most of them having been originally purchased by frugal farmers. But there were also cars that ran to the other extreme ... fully loaded (except for air ... the climate didn't really require it).

Guest Shaffer

There is a lady that owns a store a mile from here, than buys a new Buick every 3 years or so. The first car I remember her having was a 1995 Buick Century, then the newest style Century in 1998. Last year she bought a 2001 Century. Even in the middle of summer, when temperatures would near 100 degrees, with the high humidity here in Tennessee, I have never seen her going down the road with the air on. If I happen to see her in town, no matter how hot it is, she never uses it. I think only ONE time when it was over 100 degrees, she may have used it. She told my dad is saves gas. SHE OWNS A GAS STATION. Some say she won a $1,000,000 lottery, but I am not sure. I guess if they could still be ordered without A/C, she would have, but it ruins the resell value of cars today.<p>[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Way back when....I was a student in high school and my auto shop teacher ordered a brand new 69 pontiac wagon "for his wife" he said. RED Big V8 Manual steering, Manual brakes and three on the tree shocked.gif" border="0 Never met his wife....but wouldn't want to wreasle her after she drove that car for a month or so rolleyes.gif" border="0 <BR>Bill

I saw a very oddly equipped 72 LeSabre at Pick Your Part years ago. It was a standard 4 door sedan, not the Custom, that had every accesory you could order on 72 LeSsbres. The car was full power, auto temp a/c, 4 note horns, and everything else I could think of for this car, but it was the cheapest full size Buick. I also remember seeing a 71 Skylark 2 door sedan with power windows. Must be uncommon for that body style. <P>And speaking of unusual 72 Buicks, my 72 Buick factory colors brochure says that Buick allowed a silver vinyl top with the medium and dark green cars. Also a green vinyl roof with the silver cars was allowed. Has anyone ever seen these combinations on original cars?

I know someone who ordered a brand new 76 Electra Limited 2dr without a/c, tilt, cruise or power locks. It also had an AM radio... I have also seen a 68 base Wildcat 4dr H.T. That had only five options: tinted windows, auto trans., power steering, WINDOWS AND DOOR LOCKS! It had radio delete plate, no clock, no a/c or anything else!

Fans of the early 1970's GM full-size cars will want to check out the just-arrived June, 2002 issue of Collectible Automobile magazine, which includes full coverage of the 1971 through 1976 rear-drive Cadillacs (Calais, DeVille, Fleetwood). Here is some perspective on options, from the article:<P>"Most power conveniences that would be taken for granted on later luxury models cost extra on the 1971 DeVille, including automatic climate control, cruise control, power locks, power seats, tinted glass and whitewall tires. . . . Vinyl roofs were among the most popular extra-cost options."<P>Interestingly, the vinyl roof was not even available as an option on the Calais series cars until 1974!<P>One of the most interesting items in the article is the photos of a 1976 Fleetwood Sixty-Special Brougham that was converted to a GM clamshell wagon design. It appears that the wagon roof and tailgate assembly were borrowed from a '71 model Buick, Olds, Chev, or Pontiac wagon with the louvres in the outer panel.

Guest Shaffer

Interesting about the Cadillac vinyl roof note. I thought it was odd that all of the early 70s Cadillac Calais I had seen (only seen a few because they was rare to start with), not to have a vinyl top. Most DeVilles did. Odd that Cadillac dod not have the option until 1974 on the Calais, as even the Chevrolet Impala had the vinyl roof option, even in 1971-1972.

Guest Shaffer

I guess basically in the early 70s, most "features" was options. So you could have a loaded 1972 Chevrolet Impala, or a stripped 1972 Cadillac Calais. But still probably have to pay about $2,000 more for the Cadillac, just because its a Cadillac. And in comparison, the most expensive 72 Chevrolet Caprice, could look about as nice if not as nice as a base, stripped, 72 Cadillac Calais sedan. Recently, I looked at a 73 Cadillac Calais sedan and it looked cheaper inside than some 73 Chevrolet Caprice sedans shown in the 73 Chevrolet sales brochure and even my 71 Caprice had a more upscale look, aside from the absence of power windows. But again, even some Cadillacs did not have them, as it was a option.

Guest Shaffer

Here is another rare Buick: A 65 Buick Skylark. Car only has 7,000 miles. Rare, because it has 3-speed manual, no power steering, no power brakes, no air. Maybe they are not as rare, but I think it is unusual to see a 60s Buick, with a 3-speed on the column. This is a very nice car. <BR> <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1813330879&tc=photo16124" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1813330879&tc=photo16124</A>

Guest Shaffer

Also, tonight on E-Bay I seen a 1970 Chevrolet Caprice, with the speed alert option. I did not even know the Chevrolets had the option. I do not think the 1971s had that option. Learn something new everyday.

Guest Shaffer

Another rare car on E-Bay is a 1957 Mercury Colony Park wagon (top of the line Mercury for 57, as well as the "fanciest" Ford Motor Company wagon in 57) The car is a factory 3-speed manual on the column. This was Fords "luxury" wagon. Odd that it is a 3-speed. Auction may have already ended.

Here's another "RARE" car, although it is not<BR>a Buick. I owned a 1978 Oldsmobile Omega<BR>"SX" with all white enterior (except for<BR>carpet). It had buckets, A/C, AM/FM radio,<BR>3 speed automatic, no PW, no PS. It had<BR>fold down back seat, and a hatchback. Funny<BR>thing about it was a 305 Chevrolet engine<BR>with 4 barrel carb. Why didn't they use a<BR>"Olds" engine. My understanding was only<BR>one allocated to a dealer and no more were to be built. I bought mine right off the<BR>car carrier as it was being delivered. Just<BR>happened to be in the neighborhood. Loren<BR>56 Buick Century

Thanks Henry, that is nice to know. I still<BR>think the "SX" Omega was a rare car as I have<BR>only seen 3 others all these years. Were<BR>they all hatchback or were they notch back<BR>versions also? Loren 56 Buick Century

Guest Shaffer

Another rare car mentioned on a Pontiac group I am a member of is a mid 90s Pontiac Grand Prix (same as Buick Regal) that has the very expensive "HUD" display (the option that shows the speedometer reading on the windshield), but it has NO power windows, and NO power locks. It is just the plain model, with the option usually on the higher line Grand Prix models and the full-size Bonneville. So I guess a little weird option packages was even in the 1990s.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

ANOTHER rare 70s GM car. Someone on the wagon site has a 70s Pontiac Grand LeMans Safari (top of the line mid-size wagon) and the car does not even have air. No power windows, no power locks. Only has a AM radio. Also has the woodgrain option. These wagons was already rare (as is the 73 Buick Century Luxus posted here, which is also a plain model), but a stripped top of the line model would have to be extremely rare.

Cadillac took pains to make sure a DeVille looked more expensive than a Calais. Calais had a vinyl instead of leather interior (besides cloth).

Heres another rare car that I bought from a friend of mine's father in 1982 who ordered this car new. It was a 67 Pontiac Catalina Safari Wagon,he ordered it with a 428 HO, auto,3.90 posi. Bucket seat with floor shift with tach mounted on the console,A/C,PB,PS,no power windows,roof rack,and came with standard 14" rims and tires/hubcaps. Car was turquis with black interior. Had all the 428 emblems one on each front fender,one on the floor console,and one one the radiator core support. Also came with chrome air cleaner lid and valve covers. I kick myself in the hind-end for selling this car!<P> Starc Traxler

Guest Shaffer

Here is one of the PLAINEST early 70s cars I have ever seen, although I am sure many smaller cars in the 70s was this plain. Here is a PLAIN, PLAIN, 1971 Plymouth Duster, with a 3-speed on the column and no carpet. I recently seen a base, 1972 Ford Torino wagon, (the 72 Torino models consisted of three models- Torino, Gran Torino and Gran Torino Squire). This base Torino wagon was stripped. It had no power steering, no power brakes, no carpet, no A/C, and if I am not mistaken, it was a 6-cylinder, 3-speed on the column. I think in 1973, at least power steering and brakes was standard. I will check my 73 Ford wagons brochure. Also, that person on the wagon group has a 1975 Pontiac Grand LeMans Safari wagon (top of the line MID-SIZE Pontiac wagon for 75) and it has no a/c, no power windows or locks. It is very rare for ANY trim-level 1975 Pontiac wagon to not have A/C, especially the Grand LeMans, which would be equivilent to a 1975 Buick Century Estate Wagon, or a top of the line 1975 Buick Regal. There is a lot of odd equipped cars from the 1970s.<P>Here is the link to the PLAIN Plymouth Duster. <BR> <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1820141627" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1820141627</A><p>[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Shaffer

The list of rare cars of the early 70s continues. Tonight I spotted a 1971 Plymouth Satellite Custom stationwagon. This is the mid-size Plymouth model for 1971 and the "Satellite Custom" is the mid-line model for this particular car. This car is oddly equipped as well. It has a 225 Slant 6-cyl, 3-speed on the tree and *factory A/C* and has the optional 3rd seat. Also, the car only has 8,300 miles (according to seller). They are asking $1,400 / trade for Mopars.<p>[ 04-14-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Here is another rare equipped car - a 1975 Pontiac LeMans with a factory 6-cyl and 3-speed on the column.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.countryclassiccars.com/cars/75bpon3.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.countryclassiccars.com/cars/75bpon3.jpg</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.countryclassiccars.com/cars/75bpon2.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.countryclassiccars.com/cars/75bpon2.jpg</A><p>[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Shaffer

Back in the mid and late 1970s, my grandmother had a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro. It was a base model. I think it was oddly equipped, but not too sure. It had a 250 Inline 6-cylinder, powerglide automatic on the column, and A/C. I may be wrong, but if I recall correctly, it may have even had power windows. Later, she give it to my parents. Back in the early 1980s, a lady in a then almost new 1978 Ford Pinto stationwagon hit him in it. it was what is now known as a "off-set" crash. Car was repaired. I do not remember what finally happened to the car. Then my grandfather bought her a 1973 Cadillac Eldorado coupe. She was ran off of the road by a drunk driver in a truck. She swerved to keep from hitting him, but in the process, the totalled two other then new early 1980s cars and drove hers home. We ended up with that car too. Then she got a 1974 Pontiac Catalina 4-door sedan. Again, we got it. It was wrecked by a rainy morning. A truck cut a corner too short and we hit him. Then my grandmother got a 1972 Lincoln Town Car. Again, we ended up with that car. I think that was the last car that was handed down to my mother from my grandmother, aside from a 23,000 actual mile, 1976 AMC hatchback in the late 1980s. I know I have mentioned it before, but from my other grandparents, they gave my dad my grandfathers old 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 2dr hdtp.<P>[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]<p>[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]