Factory floor mats

RGILL

Can anyone tell me if there is a differnce in the factory floor mats from year to year? I have seen some with the plastic anti-skid mat sewn on and some with the anti-skid pad attached with snaps. Looks like 4 quarter size buttons on the top side of the mat. Which years would these be, if there is a difference?

I'm going to jump in on this one folks, and feel free to correct me if something looks wrong. the 1988s used the loops along the sides of the mats to hold the no-skid section on. the 1989s used the snaps and snap covers.

some notes on the early mats: they used the self-adhesive Reatta logos on both sides (the mats were theoretically reversible) and the logos tend to come off. a word of advice on the 1989 mats with the snaps: DO NOT attempt to remove the snaps if the car lived in a road salt climate. the salt accumulated around the snaps, and they will self-destruct if you attempt to remove them.

the 1990-1991 mats were more conventional. they were not reversible, and had rubber backing with rubber nubs to secure the mat to the carpeting. the Reatta logo was embroidered on, instead of being self-adhesive.

as far as interchangability goes, the blue and saddle ones would work for every year Reatta. the early (1988-1989) gray is those two years only, and the slate gray is 1990-1991 only. the burgundy would be 1988-1990 only, and the flame red would be 1990 Select-Sixty and 1991 only.

Mike

I live in a major salted road climate. Syracuse, NY is known as the Salt-City. I remove my snaps with a screw driver and they came off without destroying them. The one snap I attempted without the screw driver did self destruct. Good advice. If you go easy with a flat screw driver and work at it you can get them off safely - at least with mine.

Chuck Parry

don't know if you bought your car new or not, but those mats were definitely used only in 1988.

there are two possibilities: 1) the mats were missing ( a common problem in dealerships, especially if the car sat around for a while, as most Reattas did), and they had these in stock in the parts department, or in a used car. 2) if your car was used, the original mats may have been missing or damaged, and they threw the old ones in.

Mike

One additional clue. The '88-'89 mats, from the factory would have plastic grids that match the mat color. We believe that replacement style '88-'89 mats had black plastic grids, this allowed the supplier to use one part number (black) for all mats.

Actually, my '89 came with an extra set of mats that I was told the previous, original owner bought when he found out the mats were to be discontinued. The mats and non-slip grids are both grey, and I still have 'em sealed in the original packaging.

Guess I need to better clarify what I ment by replacement mats.

If you purchased extra parts, like the mats, at the time the car is being built, then the vendor that is making them, has the same grids as he is sending to the factory. At that time, if he were to use black, that would be an additional part number (unless Riviera, or Toronado used black.

However, if you were to order '88-89 mats lets say in 1991, two years after the '89's were out of production, then the mat grids would all be black.

There would be some carry over after production stopped, and they would use the colored grids they had on hand. So there would be no exact date that things were switched.

Without looking at the parts book, the mat and grid could have been parts you would need to order seperately. But there was probably an accessory number that got you two mats with grids.