trunk deck

jennyjett

Mine does the same thing as yours does Jenny, kind of sticks when you push the button. I think this is normal, perhaps Buick and all their fine engineers should have put a spring to pop it open somewhat to save on the wear and tear to the finger nails smile.gif

That is why trunk handles are popular. Seriously, it never occured to me that anything was wrong, is the same as several other cars I have with trunk release buttons. Personally I prefer this to some other rentals I've had that open wide, particularly if raining or snowing.

it is quite impossible for the trunk lid to pop up. have you ever noticed when you close the trunk that as it gets closer to closing it will take over and close itself?

also, as you go to open the trunk, have you noticed how far you have to lift it before the pneumatic struts take over? the only way it could pop up is if they had put some kind of assist spring, and there is none there. believe me, we have over eighty of these things, and there are some interesting variations, but a trunk pop-up is not one of them.

the basic problem here is the way the trunk actually releases. on most cars, there is a direct mechanical connection with the release, i.e., turning a key, which rotates a shaft, and mechanically releases a latch. on the Reatta, this is totally different. for example, when the key is turned in the outside latch, it does not have a mechanical connection with the trunk latch. instead, the turning key activates a switch, and that, in turn, activates the solenoid that releases the trunk. it seems that cars which have torsion bars (much more common, and work forever) to lift the trunk are the ones that pop up when released, not the ones with pneumatic struts.

I've had several other cars where the trunk lid (or hatch) did not pop up when released, a 1987 and 1990 Avanti, a 1990 Cavalier station wagon, and a 1989 Camaro. I'm sure there are others. the Cavalier and the Camaro both used pneumatic struts; the two Avantis used a double spring-double hinge setup somewhat similar to the Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Cirrus sedans in the mid-90s. the double spring-double hinge setup allows the trunk lid to open beyond vertical. it cleared your head, and allowing easy loading of the trunk.

I have found a little trick to get the Reatta trunk lid to pop up a little; make sure your trunk lid is properly adjusted. the easiest way to check is to see if your pin striping lines up as it curves from the quarter panels onto the trunk lid. I've seen a lot of Reattas that had the trunks adjusted down too low. to correct this, just open the trunk, and turn the rubber stops on the underside of the trunk lid OUT. you will have to experiment a little to get it right. when the stripe lines up, the trunk is in the proper place. the only time this would not apply is if your car had been repainted...and you Select-Sixty folks would be out of luck, too.

Mike

I've owned my Reatta for almost six years, and the trunk has never popped up. As an aside, my purchased new 2001 Acura CL does not either. Now that I think about it, every car I've owned since 1973 has had a power trunk release, except my 1956 Continental Mark II, and none of them popped up.

It is possible that somebody put on some gas shocks that are to strong . Is it hard to put down?

You could buy some at Pep Boy and Try them and take them back if it isn't the problem.

Also there is a spring on the latch that can come loose and make it act funny.

The fact that there is no mechanical linkage between the lock tumbler and the latch became a problem for me when I had a poor connection at my battery terminal post. I had to crawl through the surfboard hatch to get to my tool box to work on the terminal. Glad there is a manual release on the latch assy.so I only had to be a one way trip.