Headlight Questions - '49 Buick

BuickNut

Hey Folks, got a question on the headlights on my '49 Buick Super. It needs restored, but don't recall how well the old 6 volt headlights lite up the road when I did drive it. Are there conversions over to modern 12 volt lighting ? Are there places to get "new technology" (????) lights to work on old 6 volt systems ? Or where can I get the old original lights - non used ? I'm not concerned about having the vehicle having NOS stuff, and can definately go with NORS......

Your original 6v sealed beam headlights are rated at 40 watts. 12v sealed beam headlights up to about 1970 were also rated at 40 watts. In the 1970s a 50 watt sealed beam was introduced. With the advent of quartz-halogen bulbs, the wattage dropped back to about 40 for sealed beam versions.<P>So, given a good set of wires, switch and connector contacts, and a good ground, you have the same power at the head light as a new car.<P>However, for the same power quartz-halogen bulbs typically put out 50% more light than incandescent bulbs, so the standard new car headlight will put out more light than your 6v car. You can get 6v quartz-halogen headlights if you want to bring it up all the way to today's standards.<P>For tomorrow's standard, the new replacement HID systems put out about 300% more light than quartz-halogen using only 35 watts. See the links pointed to in the current HID thread in the Reatta forum for details. I suppose it would be possible for someone to make a 6v igniter and ballast for those, but I bet they are not available now.

Thanks a lot.....its very much appreciated. For kicks, I may just try and see if I can get some of the 6 volt quartz halogen lights. I'll grab a look-see through Hemmings and see if there's anything listed.....buts its nice to know that if I can't find them - I'm still doing a-ok with respect to my 70's car.